Tank Journal Archive

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
ok it cleared up a bit. sorry bout quality old 3mp digital.

the BTA had closed up since I did a reshuffle of the LR and stirred the tank up big time.

Attachments

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
as can be seen the reshuffle has lowered the LR. now just need some coral etc. to get back to where I was.

I hate to put this up but the wife has restricted me bigtime with spending money on the tank. since I lost the lot I had in there she put her foot down. so if anyone has anything going cheap please let me know. I really got bummed out after seeing how it was a few months ago.
I hate asking for handouts and thats not what I want to do so if there is anyone who wants to help a fellow reefer rebuild please, please let me know as I would love to try and work something out :)

cheers people!

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
new addition :) been in the tank for around 5 days, was $20, missus let me get it as i was bit down bou the tank :)

021.jpg

nice elegance, it has doubled its size since getting it home from LFS. so tank must be pretty good. the changes i have seen since going to NSW has been excellent.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
oh, tank has been rescaped again since last time, BTA decided to get stuck under the LR. now it has a "bommie" look with some good negative space. have to get new FTS but want to get some more corals before I do. I have organised a few to come, blue xenia, green tree, fungii (cant wait to get this one!) and a rho. might even try and split the rho up and get a few out of it. maybe a few zoa if I am lucky :D

getting my spirit back with the tank now :D parameters are looking great since the change to NSW too. much more stable. am doing a water change of between 25-40L every 7-10 days aswell.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Jashay , glue all your rock together so you can't move it. That's what I made myself do! If you allways touch it will never settle and stabilize !

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
Jashay , glue all your rock together so you can't move it. That's what I made myself do! If you allways touch it will never settle and stabilize !
yea definately need to do that... which means I will need to pull it out again. as soon as I have my sumps running, which are getting made this weekend, I will stick the rocks together. what should I use to do so?

I had to get the BTA out though.. will be removing a fair bit of the live rock and putting it in one of the sumps, I feel like the tank is cluttered with rock. gotta get a FTS..

wont touch it for a bit though. at least not til next week or the week after when I have the sumps cured and ready

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
quick update -

just a FTS. bloody phone cameras. all I got right now though. sorry bought the reflection of the dining table.

FTS.jpg

I like it with just the actinic on. I want to get the lighting right in this tank. I was thinking a purple type tube but would have to know if it gives the spectrum needed etc. A bit of advice on this would be nice if anyone can help. what it has in there now is the actinic blue and a 14000K white, which I thought was a cool white but nope :confused: the white tube (14k) was included with the tank, the actinic blue I purchased. the tank originally had two white 14k. it was showing that yellow colour that isnt exactly desirable. the actinic in combo with the white works well, but it isnt the look I want. I want that slightly darker overall colour then what the actinic/white combo does. thats why I thought the purple or pink might be good as I used to use a purple/pink in my freshwater setup but that got sold when I sold the tank.

oh by the way, the elegance got a little disturbance, is normally double what it looks like here and has opened completely up since taking the photo. elegance bottom right. above that a small hammer, above that not sure. the candy cane down the bottom left is practically gone, all but two or three heads have any tissue left. the heads that have tissue still have some zooxanthellae so it may come back over the next few times, I would like that to happen and get it to regrow. above that is some acan, and a small recovering heliofungia.

will update more over the next week as I will be cutting and fabricating my sumps. I got the glass from the recycle centre for a total of $10. which will cover the whole build with a bit left over for some practice ;) not gonna try cut glass for the first time straight up without trying it first!.

then once the sumps are made, will need to find a reasonably priced return pump, let the silicone cure for at least 1-2 weeks to be on the safe side. maybe more depending on how easy/hard they go together. I cant wait to get these sumps up and going, want to get the skimmer and other stuff thats in the DT out.