Tank Journal Archive

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Damn there goes my new business venture.. :-) Well I hope its ok and maybe I can wait a bit.. any idea of a name?Not sure about the 110-240V mod... it maybe as simple as changing plugs depending upun gear used, most units have a power circuit that will take a variety of Voltages.. most will drop down supply to 5-24V to run controller/relays anyhow.
we'll see, I know one thing, im always a little apprehensive re: pumps/leaks/etc so would like some coverage..

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Yeah no one will really say how to do it being electrical modifying its really something that a qualified person should be doing although I do know one person who did it and worked a charm and to my knowledge he only changed a couple parts but again will only hint at what needs to be done instead of providing full instructions, well he did but it then got moderated, you've encouraged me to pick up on it again because I really want one too I may research it a little more and we could possibly still have a business market here me n u ;) lol

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Damn there goes my new business venture.. :) Well I hope its ok and maybe I can wait a bit.. any idea of a name?Not sure about the 110-240V mod... it maybe as simple as changing plugs depending upun gear used, most units have a power circuit that will take a variety of Voltages.. most will drop down supply to 5-24V to run controller/relays anyhow.
we'll see, I know one thing, im always a little apprehensive re: pumps/leaks/etc so would like some coverage..
I wish you could get a DJ power strip over or other controller strips here as easily as you can in the US. If you design one let me know ;)

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Quick startdate update:
1. Have been busy fitting a slide out drawer to take all power cables etc (Not easy given tank and stand dimensions) But its in and all cables are out of sight now.
Cleaning sump may not be the easiest but I will manage. Prefer a bit of graft than constant mess!
2. Have routed cables from illumimajic in black allow to get rid ot those as a bit unsightly given all the other clean lines.
3. Have got salt up to correct level (It took a bit as I had no way of testing without going to shop) My refractometer is due in tomorrow.. Yay.. ;-)
4. Some rock in and all cycled, ammonia and nitrates zero,Temp 25-26 and fairly constant.
5. Glass all cleaned up and awaiting a bit more (lots) rock

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Any chance you can reduce the size of your pics and post them full size? Those six pics are 30mb+ to view. I still loaded them though ... awesome job with the Illumagic, particularly the way you hid the wire. The tank looks great,

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
lol... I think thats why i posted as thumbnails last time and someone said too small... you guys never happy ;-) i should have reset camera to low res... then there would be calls for "hey what about some high res" lol.. i'll maybe redoe tomorrow..

I couldn't sleep right without sorting this out.. :-)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Great that the power cable fits in those bunnings connect pipes. Was hoping to feed my radion power through my stand but the connector is too fat and I don't have the balls to re-wire or adapt it.

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Great that the power cable fits in those bunnings connect pipes. Was hoping to feed my radion power through my stand but the connector is too fat and I don't have the balls to re-wire or adapt it.
It fits through the alloy part, the tricky bit is getting through the 90 degree connector... solution is to cut a groove on the inside of the angle and then push the cable into the connector. There is no way you could get it through otherwise..

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
I added a few critters and corals in the last week or so. CUC inc.
2 trocus (which are cleaning up all rock)
3 urchins (Small and came with LR)
Bristle stars.. lots from LR
One dirty great big bristle worm.. (I think that's what it is) with LR
Some of those burrowing snails in sand x 2
3 hermits (2x purple legs one red that came with LR)
Banded shrimp x1

corals:
Duncan (8 Polyps)
Cataphyllia
Busto (red & green)
Zoas on a rock.. 100+ different colours
Pinapple coral ( I think thats what its called) About 12 x 12cm

I'll post a pic... :-)

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Nice sounds like your lr was crawling!!
Yeah, so it seems.... I thought it was a bit "dead" but when the lights go out it comes alive..
I need to think about fish, i'd love an anenome and a couple of clowns but maybe tank is too young for those, thinking anout a purple tang to help keep place looking good..
I want a hawk but I think that's last to go in... They are my fave fish underwater, lots of attitude I think.
Here are a few pics for this progress report..
Water is 26degrees, salt 1.025, zero nitrate/rite/ammonia

Attachments

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
you're right about the nem for now, but cant stop you from getting some clowns :) if they're gonna host they will they dont need to be hosting when you buy it, that way you get the clowns you want and the nem you want...im really starting to like maroon clowns they're pretty awesome with gold bars

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Grab a copy of Joyce Wilkersons book "Clownfishes" ( or something similar for the title)- by far the best book around for clownfish (also includes a section of anemones and which clowns are compatible with which Anenome), etc.

From memory mine only cost about $40 delivered from the US (Amazon)

As Leo said, you can get the clowns now. Think past the normal occy's and Perc's. What about Pink skunk, Maroons, Clarkies, etc. remember the bigger ones can get a title aggressive, especially if they start spawning.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
The others beat me to the punch, I started replying around 10 this morning lol, get the clowns if the tank is ready the clowns will host your nem when you get it.

I think the whole mythology of keeping a nem stems from us sites. I'm only a newbie so take it with a grain of salt but if your tank is "fully" cycled and your in a solid routine with your maintenance I think you will be fine. In the us for some reason every second nem seems to get bacterial infections or something else. Maybe it's cause of travel maybe cause in a lot of tanks over there seem to run asw I wouldn't have a clue.

I got my nem at around 5 months I think I was lucky I got precycled rock from vpreefs tank he was shutting down so my cycle was less than most and when the opportunity came up to grab a nem at a good price I jumped on it.

Within 2 mins of putting it in the tank my clowns were all over it. I had to go to work and by the time I got home it had quadrupled in size, which was unexpected lol but it obviously didn't like the lfs tank. Since having it I have fed it poked and proded it when it moved even pryed it from its spot ( gently of course) and moved house with it pulling the tank apart and putting it back together at the new house. After the move it wandered into a power head (first night) and got chopped up and has since healed and sat where I put it in the first place aarrhhgg.

Go with popular opinion and wait but you know your tank and if that nem you've been chasing pops up be honest with yourself and if you think the tank is ready grab it :)

Watch those power heads though!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I think you'll find the "12 months" rule is more about how long it takes the average aquarist to get solid husbandry skills (maturation of the aquarist) more than the actual maturation of the tank.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I have had some success breeding clowns, Percs, Occys and Maroons, with and without an anemone so in my experience you don't need a "home" for the clowns. When pushed they will use pretty much anything with swaying soft arms! If you are particular with coral structure and placements anemones can become a pain as they will wander until they are happy, sometimes stinging other corals and sometimes they are stung by some corals. However sometimes they will surprise you and stay where you put them, once they find a spot they generally stay there though. This does differ between species of nems as they all have different lighting, flow and feeding requirements. Don't let me put you off as they can be fascinating.