Tank Journal Archive

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Thanks mate,
I think overall the best spot, and now i have two holes in my ceiling it had better stay there a while. It was easy enough to set up, get level etc. There is a small leak around the tank inlet from pump (Just past the o ring so i'll get that fixed before adding salt etc and also lower the return to sump as its a bit splashy, the water drops 200mm so a bit of a mess... i'll adjust to just above running water level once I get that right..
I have to work out salt now... 25g per litre right?

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Thanks mate,
I think overall the best spot, and now i have two holes in my ceiling it had better stay there a while. It was easy enough to set up, get level etc. There is a small leak around the tank inlet from pump (Just past the o ring so i'll get that fixed before adding salt etc and also lower the return to sump as its a bit splashy, the water drops 200mm so a bit of a mess... i'll adjust to just above running water level once I get that right..
I have to work out salt now... 25g per litre right?
Depends on what salt are you using? My red sea coral pro works out to 1.1kg for 1.026 in my 30L drums. Whole bucket does 660L I think it was

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Thanks Dave,
I have mixed at 26g per litre and will get a refractometer and check in a couple of days, salt is disolving as we type.. :cool:

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
I have sand and will give it a good wash before putting in tomorrow... rock soon... yay... Just a lil excited and to finally see it all here is a good thing..

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
MTG can you please edit and make the pictures large...Scuba looking great mate, insert ur pics as full image as its a smoother read :) gonna be awesome

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Update....
I have some rock in and will add some more in a week or so (supply is the issue) tank is cycling well I think and am skimming some stuff off, not a lot. my heater seems a bit average. How long should it take to raise the temp say 2-3 degrees?

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Confused Leo... is it a Sydney thing? ;-)
I had to make it quiet by way of fitting a pipe over the drain, seems to work a treat..
fitting a drawer under for all cables etc. as well, seems a little messy for my OCD personality.. pics to foloow soon..

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Because of you say the weather in vic is 18 degrees and the ambient room temp is 20 degrees and your tank is sitting at 23 degrees and trying to get it to 26 degrees is an issue than id say ur heater would be on for a loonnnggg time

know what i mean? i have 2 150w heaters in a 2ft cube roughly 300Lts and in the cold weather they stayed on trying to keep it at 25 degrees

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Oh wow... thanks for the info... I might need a couple then to get it to temp, it seems ive been gaining 1/2 to 1 degree a day.. but volume is about 360lts with sump.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
what size heater you got?

you wont have that prob once all the pumps are running and summers round the corner youll be asking the opposite question lol

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
What brand heater and what size do you have?

Also be away that nthe thermometers on heaters aren't very accurate - is it on non stop?

You don't want to massively oversize a heater - if it fails and locks "on" you can cook your tank, better to have 2 smaller ones than 1 large one ( eg. 2 x 150w is better than 1 x 300w)

Also do you have a pic of how you made it quiet? Just trying to ensure you haven't created a potential problem for yourself down the track. Keep the updates coming.

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
I used the durst pipe thing, worked a treat and skimmer makes most of noise now. The std. drain in corner overflow was very loud.. i'll isolate pump noise as well then should be almost silent.. It's in main living area so needs to be a lil quiet.
I'm going to get drawer fitted in cabinet to hide all electrics, once I have all sorted, ill post a few pics of all mods..
I have a 250w heater and its on/off a bit, temp climbing slowly, i left all curtains open today to try and heat up room a bit, temp at 24.5 thermo on heater i have set on 26 so we will see how it maintains once i get to set point.
I am designing the control system and all the bits I want controlled, it seems in oz you need to build your own controller..

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I've hear there is a controller coming to us that's affordable and works quite well maybe be a few months away

Also was looking into purchasing an American controller and modifying the powerbar heard its not too hard