Tank Journal Archive

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I think I'm the odd one out here, I prefer the second option from the pics. The other 2 seem a bit awkward to me

I really do like the cade though, their silicone work is second to none

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Thanks Magic, option one is the best to view all the time, visible from all arease and not in way, near the door for fast/easy water changes, can put a cooler through wall, has power... I think too many positives... the angled wall and 70mm overhang into the angled bit is only drama but I think I have a way of making it look good...
If its not too difficult, i'll check it out once I have it here and try both locals....
I'm glad I started a TJ ... i'd be mulling this over on my own otherwise...;)

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Looking good Scuba Rich! I myself would go position 2, closely followed by 1, especially as a beginner reefer. :) This spot will allow you 3 thing advantages over the others;
1) easy (emergency) water changes -(looks to be down stairs)
2) The A/C above tank - may save you this winter if you havent got a chiller
3) If your first tank is anything like my first tank, there will be leads everywhere, which you could hide behind the tank against wall
Thanks Jason...
All three options are upstairs in main living area..
1) Lounge
2) Dining room
3) at top of stairs area to kitchen and living room area..
A/c would be effective for all 3 options.
I will hide the leads... I will make a drawer for all leads controllers and timers so there will be nothing showing.. Hopefully

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Doing more thinking guys and girls...
I am looking for a controller or to be able to make one (Don't laugh lol) so was wondering if you could give me a list of all the 240V powered gear (so I can count plugs and i/o)
Other inputs required?
Calc, Ph, salinity, temp, level etc....
Also, has anyone any experience with any of the off the shelf units? I did read a bit about a couple , reefkeeper. Does anyone use a controller? why is it good/bad?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
I am looking for a controller or to be able to make one (Don't laugh lol) so was wondering if you could give me a list of all the 240V powered gear (so I can count plugs and i/o)
Other inputs required?
Also, has anyone any experience with any of the off the shelf units? I did read a bit about a couple , reefkeeper. Does anyone use a controller? why is it good/bad?
MagicJ

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Thanks for the list and pointers... have you been sucessful building your own? Are you Bill Gates's love child maybe? It all sounded a lil tricky. Does that board have ethernet? SD? Did you get it to work with touch screen?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks for the list and pointers... have you been sucessful building your own? Are you Bill Gates's love child maybe? It all sounded a lil tricky. Does that board have ethernet? SD? Did you get it to work with touch screen?
My controller has been working flawlessly for 4 years :) - you will find some pics here http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/threads/magicjs-4x2x2-reef.66/page-2#post-1744

Looking at my bank balance, I am no relation to Bill Gates :p

Ethernet - what board?? You can buy arduino copies that have ethernet built in, if that is what you mean :confused:

And, yes I now have the arduino, touch screen and SD card all working. In a way, these TFT LCD screens are stretching the limits of the arduino platform - the MEGA is a great little Input/Ouput type micro computer but the screen and touch use up a lot of the pins. The SD card uses more pins, some of which I actually want to use for other purposes so I can't see me using the SD card.

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Things have been a little quiet on the tank front... BUT should hot up soon enough... I expect to have said tank by next weekend, fingers crossed.
I am keen to see it in the house and then get some idea as to final position. I have pretty much settled on the angled wall one, given power, access to outside for water and cooler position later (outside), in airconditioned area, floor strong enough (I hope). once I have it I should know...
Idea of controller, I am still very keen on and have some idea now as to what I might do. stay tuned and once I have set up, i'll send a snap or two.. ;-)

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Yes for sure, I have been waiting a while. I settled on the angled wall position, it's central, has power and near a door to dump water and hook up a cooler if needed. Almost feel like im too sick to go to work.....;)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Other inputs required?
If you are quick there is a Reef Angel over on MASA for sale with all the bits to get you up and running straight away as the person upgraded to a Profilux.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Noice! Looks really good there, very cool. I like how it lines up with the left hand wall as you look straight at it, even though the wall angles away .. if that makes sense haha.