Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Here You go... a picture tells a 1000 words as they say... what about the high traffic issue??? View attachment 8884View attachment 8886
Traffic should be OK, there's plenty of room around the tank, you don't have to squeeze past at any point. If the unit is the same width as the panel at the top of the stairs it's not going to be a problem when people come up them. (Except when they stand there in awe of your really neat setup).

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Thanks Dave, there is a fair bit of room there so yeah I think no one crashing into it. and yeah the panel is 1150mm wide so about 75mm on each side rebated in if u follow..
Im warming to it...:cool:

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
That setup is awesome!! If you are willing to put the effort in, go for it!
Thx... i'll have to double check overall height as I don't want it being too high there... still I think option 3 is fave and 1 in second spot... anyone confused? Who's on First?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
There are going to be some personal preferences on this, but here are my thoughts in relation to Number 3:
  • your pipes are going to have to go somewhere, how will they look from the stairs/door
  • your will need some ventilation holes in the cabinet - same question as above
  • you will limit your aquascaping options if you want the tank viewable from both sides.
  • can you actually see the tank from the door/stairs
  • where will you put the chiller if/when yo get one
  • not sure of the room layout but could you actually see the tank from the living areas or would you just be walking past it?
  • is the floor strong enough immediately below the tank as I assume that there are some stairs there as well

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I think the plumbing is all internal guys.I saw these tanks about six months ago.
Corner weir on the marine tanks.
Can't quite remember the finish on the back of the cabinet.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
#3, make your power access if it comes from the ceiling as a feature of the house, otherwise bring it up from underneath.

#1 is an awkward corner.....
#2 depends on how much light and if it is controllable?

Good luck!

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Also remember one of the nicest things is being able to sit in front of the tank relaxing and watching the " show'. How will you do this with the tank in front of the stairs? You're not going to just want to walk past it to get a view

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
There are going to be some personal preferences on this, but here are my thoughts in relation to Number 3:
  • your pipes are going to have to go somewhere, how will they look from the stairs/door Pipes are enclosed in corner wier... I think..
  • your will need some ventilation holes in the cabinet - same question as above I could sort ourt a nice fan inside and a cover
  • you will limit your aquascaping options if you want the tank viewable from both sides. Yes.... and wier is at RHS in tank.
  • can you actually see the tank from the door/stairs Yes, you can see it easily
  • where will you put the chiller if/when yo get one That will be an issue, with option one I can put outside and run pipes through wall. ( I have another option there too (Option 1) that i'd probably try before buying a chiller...)
  • not sure of the room layout but could you actually see the tank from the living areas or would you just be walking past it? Option one best spot to view
  • is the floor strong enough immediately below the tank as I assume that there are some stairs there as well Floor SHOULD be ok... there is a a supporting wall both sides under so id say super strong..

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Yes, the pipes are enclosed in the cabinet (now that I have had a look :rolleyes) but the cabinet has a semi open back.

So it seems the remaining issue with Option 3 is a chiller??

But, I agree with firebird, you want the tank placed where you will be able to watch it from the place where you will be relaxing the most - only you know where that is.