Tank Journal Archive

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
My new tank...Actually my first too .... HELP
Reefing Since: New to the Reef world above water but a keen scuba diver and have spent countless hours photograhing fish to look at after my dive trips, I figured this is a much more interactive way of showing off the underwater world than on the laptop.
I have had a few fresh water tanks many years ago but i'm starting from scratch.

System Objectives: I'd like to see a thriving reef system albeit in minature to enjoy and brighten my day/night... might even get some nice pics!!

Type of reef: Different corals as per a typical reef, I love the soft corals, the odd coloruful clam and who knows, im up for ideas...

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: . In a few weeks... maybe early December at latest with some rock..

Display Tank Dimensions: Cade starfire 1000x600x550

Display Lighting: Illumagic custom for tank dimensions, hung from roof

Stand: Cade standard unit

Hood or Rimless: Rimless... I'll watch for slip hazards on the floor..:(

Sump Design: I'm told its good and everything fits, looks complex and done with mirrors but im sure i'll sort it out..

Filtration: Sump

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: ASW

Display Water circulation:Vortech

Return Pump: Ehiem Compac

Skimmer: Tunze

Chiller: Non planned yet but I think this will be a needed addition

Heating: Better get one...:confused:

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
First mission now that I have decided on a tank is to find a spot... Happy to hear your thoughts on my three options..
017.JPG1. This one is I think the prime spot, has power, about 90mm smaller than the tank but in full view from lounge so plenty of opportunity to see and enjoy.
018.JPG2. This one has more direct light and is a in dining area but not in plain sight... has power and near windeow to pump/syphon if needed..

019.JPG 3. Prime spot but no power, drainage options... would look cool here though I think.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Awesome stuff.
For the record- rimless is the way to go- I have yet to splish splash a drop out of my rimless.
Welcome to the reefuge- you'll have heaps of support from fellow members.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Awesome stuff.
For the record- rimless is the way to go- I have yet to splish splash a drop out of my rimless.
Welcome to the reefuge- you'll have heaps of support from fellow members.
your talking for yourself i spill water every time i clean the glass :(

rimless always looks so clean tho!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
That choice of position is tough!! The top of the stairs looks like it would be awesome ... but apart from the power and water change thing, need to consider how it would look from the back ... for most tanks that would be like ass.

So for me between 1 and 2 ... 2 is a better position except for how often it is viewed, which is the main reason you are doing this so I would see if 1 would work.

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Thanks for the input... yeah that back end never too pretty and I have put in loads of work renovating and putting in glass to have it spoiled by pipes lol... I am a fan of number one, it will jut be a lil bigger than that panel but i think ok..
Might be time to get a box out and visualise..

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Thanks for the input... yeah that back end never too pretty and I have put in loads of work renovating and putting in glass to have it spoiled by pipes lol... I am a fan of number one, it will jut be a lil bigger than that panel but i think ok..
Might be time to get a box out and visualise..
exciting times! best part of the build IMO :P

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Position one is logical and safe. However three presents the finest challenges and ultimately could be its undoing due to its anti social location. I am not familiar with your house layout, but feel that number one is close to your lounge- I often watch my tank during TV shows, I am sure you can hold a conversation with the rest of your family easily from number one- it will most likely be a success .
In running number three if you can't get your aquascape quite right , think about it... You could be running two great tanks in one, reef in the true front and fish only live rock in the stairwell, lol.

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
I'm sure you could get power to the staircase, if you wanted you could run a nice looking stainless steel rod down from the roof to te floor, might look a bit like a stripper pole :p but might look ok, and you could run your wires through that?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Look forward to the progress, you been in talking to Brett hey :)

If you crank that AC on hot days you may not have to worry about a chiller.

Keep the pics coming!

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
Lol and the ping pong balls,
Sorry for hijack
But something like that poll idea is possible unless you have access to power and use a extension lead along the skirting boards? Btw if you do get the thickest extension possible as it will draw a lot of power, maybe even two cords, just don't go two thick or u will get 3 fase power cable and it won't fit the plug

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
:welcome

Are you planning on a peninsular style tank i.e. viewable on 3 sides or up against a wall?? And I am sure sure where you would put it in Pic 3??

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Oh oh... you guys thinking the stairs is an option... I was hoping option one would be the fave... I had the idea of dropping the pole down with a bracket to hang the light all in one... thoughts were two thin rods coming down with cables in each inside and then branching those off to supply power...
I have no idea what the current draw would be as yet.. Any clues...
The stairs would be viewed from all sides and as the tank is basically a square when its against the wall its that cube look which I like.. the stairs is kinda warming on me, its just more hassle to do and will be in a high traffic zone as well, no easy way to dump water (The other two options are near doors/windows) and the stairs has some draghts as well...
I laughed at the pole thing and ping pong balls.... thinking too many Phuket trips for some... ;)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
1 wouldn't look right, with the angles.
2 would be OK but easy anyone could put a tank there.
3 would be an absolute conversation piece - do it ;)
Put 2 chrome poles down from the roof and run your power down them from inside the roof.