Off-Topic

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
?mutilation
arrowangel.jpg

Saw these today-marketed as black arrow angels. No caudal fin. Debate is whether these have been mutilated when young or if they have been bred this way . Do this to other fish too like parrot fish-but in this case are known to mutilate them to get the shape required.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Personally, I consider this a disgrace and the distributor should have their legs cut off. The trouble is that there are people that will buy them, just like dyed fish etc.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Not a lot - I had a look on Google and a thread was started on an Australian forum. They suspect that the tail and a notch is cut out when the fish are young which then grows over and joins up thus forming the fin shape.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
There was someone on one of the forums suggesting that they were line bred but nil obvious proof of this

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Those fish look really cool if they were line bred then i would love to have a couple i my planted tanks but to think that someone is mutilating them for sale is disgusting... The fact that they are being allowed to do so is unimaginable and someone with the power to do so needs to stop them.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I saw them the other day at a lfs, they look really cool....I would say they are line bred to that form.
So you get siamese fighters with crowntails, delta tails halfmoon....fancy guppys that are blue or panda in colour.