Reef Discussion

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
cant say I've fraged many mushrooms, but i have pulled a morph off a rock and they have ripped in half they have allways survived from that. actidental fragging

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I had a great reply written earlier and hit the post button and nothing happened - must have been when the software was being upgraded :mad:

The techniques shown in that video are pretty good - I wouldn't slice the morphs off in the tank unless there was no alternative and I normally try to glue the frags rather than just let them settle naturally.

Either way, they need to be placed in a low flow area of the tank or they will float away - the netting on top of the container is a good idea.

The new frags would normally heal and start to form a circular shape within 2 weeks - the foot left on the rock should also start to show some growth within this same time frame.

Good luck - post some pictures when you start.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
:D The small forest fire morph. I figured that it was an extra one anyway and I would give it a go.

However, everything did not go to plan. I got it cut up OK and glued the pieces to some plugs.

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Coral15.jpg

Got up in the morning and all the pieces had floated away to places unknown :mad:. However, I have subsequently located a piece which lodged in one of the rocks and is now growing nicely so all is not lost. When this one grows a bit more I will try again.

Moral of the story - put the frags in an enclosed container until they have grown onto the rock. Whilst the glue will hold them initially, they tend to break away from the glue over time if there is any sort of current.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thats what the picture is of - one of Matt's Forest Fire morphs.

Like this one - doesn't look as good as Matt's yet but this was just after it was added to my tank.

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Morph.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hey Jonny

Read post 13 :). I expect that the remaining frag will be big enough to frag again in 2-3 months as these don't grow very quick. Give it a couple of months after that and we will see what can be arranged. Maybe a christmas present ;)

And NO, I am not fragging my remaining big one :p