Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Mtg Tj April 18
Havent put much time into this tank since setting it up, I just leave it auto dosing and check the levels once a month (lazy i know)
Plan to get more on top of it by the end of the year but this is how it is at the moment

Sorry for just the basic phone pics not my usual standard but you get the idea

2018-04-07 17.08.27-1.jpg

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Its getting there i accidently let the salinity get to 1.029 over the past few months so brought that back down i need to check it more it kind of just runs itself other then feeding and topping up the RO water

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Its funny how dallas grows differently in individual tanks, it looks more like a sinulara in yours

Reactions: MTG

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Nice look - you make it sound so effortless.
As you mentioned salinity - I had a friend drop by this weekend. he had a big tank for many years, and said he got his own fresh salt water, BUT never used it 'straight". he consideed it too salty, and always diluted it by about 30% , with RO water, before adding it to his tank.
I have been using salt water I collect from the seawall, Southport, at the top of the tides. Have a 35 Carribean, so have a series of drums and 100 ltr containers, and manage to get approx. 1000 ltrs each trip - not the most economic way to get water, but my boys love the trip, and thy fish while I pump.
I did a 40% water change on the tank today, so this trip was to replenish the 3 IBCs for reserve. All IBCs have a big airstone, and are covered with black plastic tom prevent Algae growth. Other than that, I do not dilute the water at all - right or wrong ?
What is the best salinity to maintain ?

Jac

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Diluting it down that much is done in fish only tanks, if you did that in a reef tank all your invests would go belly up.

Best salinity/parameters is what your local water is :D

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I collect my own water too and as NiCd suggests, I keep my tank at the salinity level of my local water.

When I measure the salinity of the water I collect with my refractometer I measure about 1.028. That is in Sydney and the South Coast. When I have bought fish and corals, the salinity has been around 1.024 etc, sometimes much lower (hyposaline). So, I think the water I am collecting is probably around 1.028. My tank is regularly 1.030.

My philosophy is that I will do what I can to keep my parameters good for my corals and fish, but at the end of the day, the fish and corals have to survive under my conditions otherwise they leave the tank (wrapped in plastic like Laura Palmer).

I have thought that some of the corals that I have kept have not survived or more usually the case might not have proliferated because of my salinity. Nevertheless, I have found a collection of corals that have done well and that's what I keep. I have no true sps, but do keep hydnophora.

Anyway, back to the original post - tank looks fantastic.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Always love seeing your updates ever since first setting eyes on your amazing hammer garden a couple years back.

Tank is looking great. Always a pleasure to see tanks of experienced reefers who can get their tanks set up to keep cranking along with minimal intervention. Well done.

Reactions: MTG

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Thanks for the kind words guys here i am thinking its not up to usual standard i have been majorly slack i havent even adjusted my doser for another couple weeks. Speaking of that ill have to test it tonight!

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
MTG,
it seems you set this new tank up, with minimal effort and hassels. I am only 12 weeks into my cycle, but with all that has cropped up, I have to ask you - what is you did or are doing, that apparently spares you all the things I am being told are "just normal" for this part of the cycle, and to be patient ???
I did daily water checks, and my Am, Ni and Nitrates were relatively low and stable after the first 3 weeks. I got a rude shock when we tested my Phosphate, and it was 0.30 !! and the very next day the entire sand bed was covered in dark green Algae, after just a 9 hour period with the new MH lights on.
I have since set up a new compartment in the sump for a refugium, with a heap of Chato, and started the Rowa Phos. Reading yesterday was 0.27.
The 2 Reactors arrived this morning, and one i now set up with Rowa Phos... so I hope I can get a handle on it soon.

Jac

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
MTG,
it seems you set this new tank up, with minimal effort and hassels. I am only 12 weeks into my cycle, but with all that has cropped up, I have to ask you - what is you did or are doing, that apparently spares you all the things I am being told are "just normal" for this part of the cycle, and to be patient ???
I did daily water checks, and my Am, Ni and Nitrates were relatively low and stable after the first 3 weeks. I got a rude shock when we tested my Phosphate, and it was 0.30 !! and the very next day the entire sand bed was covered in dark green Algae, after just a 9 hour period with the new MH lights on.
I have since set up a new compartment in the sump for a refugium, with a heap of Chato, and started the Rowa Phos. Reading yesterday was 0.27.
The 2 Reactors arrived this morning, and one i now set up with Rowa Phos... so I hope I can get a handle on it soon.

Jac
How did you end up going?