Reef Discussion

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
moving inhabitants to another tank
Hi ppls, I just found out that I will need to close down my nano tank and move everything into a 3x18x14 (my qt tank) as soon as I find a way to fit my amd 120w leds.

The plan at this stage unless told not to is to fill the 3 footer with nsw allowing room for the water from the nano. The lr and corals will be easy to move across as will the rest of the inhabitants, the only issue I can think of atm is the substrate. I already disturb in through the week to help get rid of detritus , it isn't very deep so I doubt there will be much toxin buildup if any.

There are about 12 snails, 15 or so corals, 3kg of lr, 1 hob filter, 1 skimmer and the new circ pump (if I don't use the 3800lph instead) so it isn't really a lot to move. The biggest headache I think will be trying to get some sort of frame made for the lights to hang off of (lack of funds mostly).

The parameters of fresh nsw are almost identical to the tanks.

As always any opinions are welcome. I have 2 weeks to get the nano shut down but would like to see it done asap.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
+1 there shouldnt be any die off and your substrate is shallow as you said. Maybe just rig up a couple of bits of wood sitting on the tank to rest the lights on for now?
How come you have to shut the nano down?

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I think you should be ok ,
You could put some sort of sponge in the nano now , let it build up a bacteria population then move it across for 2 weeks , should help in the unlikely event of some die back / mini cycle
Not sure if its a good idea or a bad one ? How much live rock do you have ?

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx for the input guys, liverock is minimal so not expecting a lot of dieback.

There is a problem with the tv's with my neighbours and me from the par38's, we are in a weak signal area and the signal given off by the leds swamps the tv signal. I never would have thought of it but had a government guy out to investigate and thats what I turned out to be, an odd one but easily fixed unfortunately I won't be able to use the 38s here again. If he hadn't shown me the proof I would have thought he was full of crap but he wasn't. As with all gov problems they issue threats instead of helpful advice so I have 14 days to fix it.

I had thought of the wood idea to hold the AMDs up but they are 120w and would cook the corals or bleach them.

Lol I can just treat it as an excuse to have a bigger nano :-)

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
thats crap! you can if you get a letter from your TV installer, get free to air TV over satellite. Better than getting rid of the fish tank.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I think it was stuffing around with the next door neighbours tv?

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Damn I been caught out! Nah not really the neighbors were good about the interference but all fixed now with the new tank up and running. It was just a combination of things affecting the tv signal and closing it down to start up the 3 footer was the easiest option at the time.