Reef Discussion

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Moving a tank
Hi guys,

Moving house on sunday is there any products I should buy to have on hand chemical wise?

I'm going to take at least 200lts of water (system holds 420 bare) and have the live rock etc in 20ltr buckets submerged to really minimise die off.

If anybody has any helpfull sugestions on anything to do with a move that would be appreciated :worship

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Should say that the main things I am concerned about are the clam and anemone. A move wasnt on the plans!!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I have a heater or 2 you can borrow - you will need1 per bucket of stock.

And get a powerhead per bucket - go for tubs if you can. I can get 200l barrels which you cut the top off (just need a clean as they were used for glucose)

Having recently emptied, moved and filled a tank (granted it was from the garage to the house) it was a full day.

1. Syphon as much clean water into tubs as you can. Setip heaters in tubs + powerheads and start moving the "clean rock and corals".

As you start moving your DT will get really dirty really quickly. Get the fish 2nd last as they are easier to catch in a tank with no rock and little water.

Last is disturb the sandbed.

When setting up, dont rush. Your stock should be fine in the tubs with a heater and powerhead.

Add fish last, all in a hit so none can establish territory.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Thanks for the reply :) I've got a few helpers coming around so it should be fairly fast moving! I've got a 100ltr drum and 5 25ltr drums plus I will have 4 20ltr buckets for the lr.

I don't have many fish any way 2 clowns a Blenny a yellow tang and little purple firefish.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
If you need I have a heap of 20L drums under the garage.

I can get the 200L drums for aorund $10ea from memory, but you need to give them a quick clean (food grade glucose drums).

And don't kid yourself - it will be a full day job ;)

Best of luck with the move.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I expect it won't be quick lol I'm moving the house contents on Saturday and the tank on Sunday :)

Thanks for the offer I should be good. Melbournes premier tank relocators are coming to help (K&J aquatics) and they have heaps of tubs ;)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Make sure there are lots of pics for future generations to learn from :)

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
A picture tells a thousand words ;) plus their pretty to look at and tell the story too !!!!

Good luck for the big move!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Battery aerators for the move, keep your coral separate from the fish, take this opportunity to wash your gravel clean with your old water to dilute any nasty compounds hiding in your sandbed and don't worry " she will be right mate"

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
macca_75 is right, it is never a quick job. We helped DavidS today, 11am to 7pm just to empty, pack, load, 10 min drive, unload & half fill the tank before we had to leave (sorry mate!)

One thing we have found, no matter how clean your substrate looks, you will be amazed at the sh&t that comes up after you disturb it!!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
At least Sarg's tank has only been up and running a few months, hopefully the shit will be minimised!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Sorry with everything going on lol we didn't take any!

Thanks to Jen,ken,Pete and John for there help today. We started at 10 stopped for pizza around 1 and I didn't see what time it was when everyone left probably 3?

So far all is well! Fingers crossed ;)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Yep around 3-330 I think we all headed off. Thanks for the pizza, that place is a keeper for sure ;)

Thanks also for the eagle eye zoas! Didn't even know what you had given me but they opened up this evening and look great under the Radion. That morph positively glows too!