Reef Discussion

Matt_95

Dec 16, 2013
Maxi-mini Availability
Hey all, I really want to get a maxi mini for my pico tank, I've only ever seen one in Australia before and I can't find any for sale on any if the online stores. I'm just wondering how hard it is going to be to find one, and how much do they usually sell for?

Matt

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Hi there :) :welcome
You see them pop up occasionally online and in the LFS. Best bet is to ask them when they're getting them in and reserve one. They go for aroun 50-150 depending on colour. I've seen them for a lot more so the price varies considerably. Any red/orange/yellow coloration is quite rare and so the price is adjusted accordingly.

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
Not sure on your location mate but @Reeflections Aquarium in Melbourne are the only store I have found that seems to have some very regularly they also do ship corals I'm not sure if the ship interstate though the can help you out with that.. Be warned though mini maxis though small do seem to catch a lot of fish.. :)

Matt_95

Dec 16, 2013
I found one in a LFS for $70, it was green, I assume that's a good price then. I went to buy it but they managed to tear it in half removing it. I'm hoping it can recover so I can buy it, they said it came in as a normal carpet.
Am I likely to find any colour besides green for less than $100?
Thanks very much for the help.

Matt_95

Dec 16, 2013
I'll get in contact with them if this one near by doesn't pull through, thanks!

I'll be keeping a pair of anemone shrimp with the carpet, hopefully they will deter fish from swimming into it. And if not, well then that's just what happens in nature.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Check out the Facebook stores, maxi minis became really common a while ago (maybe 6 months) but I think the market was flooded because don't see many again now.

Matt_95

Dec 16, 2013
Thanks very much for that! I just found someone local with a few for a good price thanks to you.

Matt_95

Dec 16, 2013
Hey all, still on the look out for one of these, the local ones turned out to be the mini type, they don't get very big and divide often. They're very nice but I am still on the hunt for a maxi mini so if anyone sees any, please let me know!

Matt_95

Dec 16, 2013
Here's an alright picture I took a while ago, I started off with three, one died and now I have 5.

Attachments

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I had one disappear, it made it all the way up into my weir (which the top was out of the water) down the durso (also out of water) and attached itself to my skimmer lol I have a photo somewhere ill try find it....they were huge up here in Sydney they were a craze this time last year now its died off a bit