News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Thanks for the reply
I do understand the points you made,

What I'm wondering is why? You have a whole site you have spent a lot of time, dedication And no doubt money to create,
If you didn't have a political motive, you would have discussed with masa, (I know you have, once , and I know you were turned down) but that was regarding two certain posts, how many others have been deleted? And besides all that... this sort of thing happens everywhere, it's such a small issue to your life, and anyone here, so why create a thread basicly naming and shaming? Now I have a theory, but that doesn't really matter, it won't change anything.
Masa is a site run by a few volunteers, and with a site like Masa and even this site you are at the mercy of the group running it. And I'm sure your not perfect, maybe close ... ;)
Now at the time this all went down 6-8 months ago? Masa was copping a lot of issues internally and externally, and your timing to ask to join up was terrible timing, again you may or may not have known that, but it was the desision of a few people not a whole group of thousand. And with patience and comunication that could change.

Just think this is below you as I can't see what the out come is other then to create a anti masa campaign.
And for he record, I am just a person who have taken a lot from masa, not pro masa and anti reefuge. I love them all,
Hi @Ollie

The time, dedication and money have nothing to do with it. You guys spend a lot of money on your tanks without expectation to make a profit from it, just as I spend a lot of money on The Reefuge without expectation to make a profit. It is my hobby, and even if it costs me money to keep running (which it does), I am more than happy to spend the money and keeping it online - make no mistake that this is not an issue. I would also like to point out, that the moderation is also done by volunteers here.

Now, the reason for the post is due to the fact that MASA are not a business, they are a society which represents the hobby. This is the issue I have with them doing what they are doing. Let's say you owned a forum/facebook group/ etc and you effectively banned The Reefuge from any participation - fine, no problem. But the fact they are a society that represents the hobby and they do things like this is morally wrong, and that is where my issue is.

Lol
Yes! In many ways You are run the same way, you are just a platform, it's the members who make it. I enjoyed the members I met, and I even have made some amazing friendships from it, and I have a fight with someone... I don't blame the site. It's what you make from it!
Man, why don't you start a thread about facbook groups? I know some people who have commented here have attacked newwbs on Facebook!
Ahh it's all so pathetic , I just have to keep reminding my self... its a thread bitching about a site designed to talk about fish tanks...
Real world problem... Don't think so
As stated above, it is not a facebook group / forum issue. It is due to the fact that they are an authority figure and claim to represent their members. I can only hope that The Reefuge is the only member who has had to put up with being treated this way. Having a mission statement claiming to to one thing, but doing something else is misleading the public.

Thanks.

As a member of Masov you CAN post in the masov forum !!!
please dont judge all masa members because you dont like the moderating of a few volenteers
without a doubt like all public forums there are things that we think could be done different ,like ollie said its run by a few volunteers, but the majority of members are both helpful and friendly .
Hi @coral1,

Yes, that is true. I can post on the masov forum. I can not however seem to post on the RTAW forum without my content being deleted. It is not the moderating style of a few volunteers that is the issue, it is the fact that The Reefuge has been treated extremely unfairly by MASA and the deletion of those two posts was the straw that broke the camels back.

Things such as this should be public knowledge as MASA claims to do one thing, but does something else.

Thanks.

Ollie

Oct 11, 2014
So have
Hi @Ollie

The time, dedication and money have nothing to do with it. You guys spend a lot of money on your tanks without expectation to make a profit from it, just as I spend a lot of money on The Reefuge without expectation to make a profit. It is my hobby, and even if it costs me money to keep running (which it does), I am more than happy to spend the money and keeping it online - make no mistake that this is not an issue. I would also like to point out, that the moderation is also done by volunteers here.

Now, the reason for the post is due to the fact that MASA are not a business, they are a society which represents the hobby. This is the issue I have with them doing what they are doing. Let's say you owned a forum/facebook group/ etc and you effectively banned The Reefuge from any participation - fine, no problem. But the fact they are a society that represents the hobby and they do things like this is morally wrong, and that is where my issue is.

As stated above, it is not a facebook group / forum issue. It is due to the fact that they are an authority figure and claim to represent their members. I can only hope that The Reefuge is the only member who has had to put up with being treated this way. Having a mission statement claiming to to one thing, but doing something else is misleading the public.

Thanks.

Hi @coral1,

Yes, that is true. I can post on the masov forum. I can not however seem to post on the RTAW forum without my content being deleted. It is not the moderating style of a few volunteers that is the issue, it is the fact that The Reefuge has been treated extremely unfairly by MASA and the deletion of those two posts was the straw that broke the camels back.

Things such as this should be public knowledge as MASA claims to do one thing, but does something else.

Thanks.
so have you raised that you the leader of you masov group?
Or a mod? And not the mod who seems to have censored you?
And how many times were you censored outside of your attempts to join forces with masa?

And seriously, needs to be public knowledge that MASA says one thing and does another??!! There is the potitical crap there, masa hasn't done anything, someone did, stop trying to bring a whole group of thousands down for one incident

How often do you write to the news paper because you noticed someone j walk? Or a police man not indicate 3 times?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
So have

so have you raised that you the leader of you masov group?
Or a mod? And not the mod who seems to have censored you?
And how many times were you censored outside of your attempts to join forces with masa?

And seriously, needs to be public knowledge that MASA says one thing and does another??!! There is the potitical crap there, masa hasn't done anything, someone did, stop trying to bring a whole group of thousands down for one incident

How often do you write to the news paper because you noticed someone j walk? Or a police man not indicate 3 times?
1) Yes, I have mentioned it many times.
2) Yes, also to mods.
3) I don't know which mod censored me each time I have been censored.
4) Every time

I am not trying to bring a group of thousands down. I am trying to shine light on what the people who are in charge of running MASA/RTAW are doing. This is important as they are responsible for the organisation. A bonus of that is that these posts wont get deleted, so there may be some chance of getting some answers.

I don't write to the news papers at all. Nor do I write to a police man.

Thanks.

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Hi The Reefuge,

Like many here, i use both forums and feel each is what you make of it.

However, I think you might be overestimating the significance of the mission statement.

It was a big deal many years ago and certainly at the time RTAW originated and it's role in uniting the hobbyists as a single voice against the threat of closure of coral collection. Back then, rtaw was a young community full of enthusiastic members keen on sharing knowledge, like the Reefuge is now.

But times have changed. For a start, I doubt many relatively new members know about the mission statement or could be bothered reading it. RTAW is no longer the one and only voice in the local scene and Facebook groups in particular have absorbed a lot of hobbyists, new and old alike. While I understand your frustration, MASA is not as influential in the community as they once were, which is both a shame and also a sign of the times. Furthermore, participation in the actual clubs fluctuates and is very cyclical...bit like boom and bust cycles in real estate. :rolleyes

Many international forums are in the same boat, as participation atrophies and members find multiple platforms to voice their concerns. So I guess their failure to want to combine forces if you will, for the benefit of both here and RTAW is not surprising. They're doing what places like RC have done for ages. I'm not tech savvy, but if you wanted to advertise the benefits of this place, would it be possible to take out adverts on local FB groups? That would give you more exposure to grow your site ( although I understand MASA does represent a better target audience in so far as many of its members still use written forums to communicate)

In short, I'd rather spend my time reading about reefing stuff and sidestep the politics on either site. JMO.

Angie

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi The Reefuge,

Like many here, i use both forums and feel each is what you make of it.

However, I think you might be overestimating the significance of the mission statement.

It was a big deal many years ago and certainly at the time RTAW originated and it's role in uniting the hobbyists as a single voice against the threat of closure of coral collection. Back then, rtaw was a young community full of enthusiastic members keen on sharing knowledge, like the Reefuge is now.

But times have changed. For a start, I doubt many relatively new members know about the mission statement or could be bothered reading it. RTAW is no longer the one and only voice in the local scene and Facebook groups in particular have absorbed a lot of hobbyists, new and old alike. While I understand your frustration, MASA is not as influential in the community as they once were, which is both a shame and also a sign of the times. Furthermore, participation in the actual clubs fluctuates and is very cyclical...bit like boom and bust cycles in real estate. :rolleyes

Many international forums are in the same boat, as participation atrophies and members find multiple platforms to voice their concerns. So I guess their failure to want to combine forces if you will, for the benefit of both here and RTAW is not surprising. They're doing what places like RC have done for ages. I'm not tech savvy, but if you wanted to advertise the benefits of this place, would it be possible to take out adverts on local FB groups? That would give you more exposure to grow your site ( although I understand MASA does represent a better target audience in so far as many of its members still use written forums to communicate)

In short, I'd rather spend my time reading about reefing stuff and sidestep the politics on either site. JMO.

Angie
Hi @suta42,

Thank you very much for your reply, it was well thought out and a good read. However, in regards to advertising, it is not the point I am trying to make. The issue stems from them not being a business, not being a simple platform to network on, not being a simple facebook group.

Regardless of the influence that have now in relation to what they once did, they are still the authority figure that hobbyists and individuals use to network.

The Reefuge is a platform only. Basically the purpose of The Reefuge is to give users a medium to use in order to do research, network, discuss and use tools to make their hobby a bit easier. There is no mission statement or agenda. It just is. It is there to get used, nothing more, nothing less. It does not speak on behalf of anyone, it does not represent anyone, nor does it claim to.

However, it is an Australian business none the less, and a member of masov. So it should have the same rights as other businesses have. This is not the case obviously. That is what people should know.

Thanks.

Ollie

Oct 11, 2014
Who did you raise it with?
I can talk to them about their reasonings, and try sort this out for you

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Would you expect Macdonalds to send customers to Kfc as they are both fast food outlets
Firstly, I would like to mention that The Reefuge allows links to any website (including MASA/RTAW) and also allows societies like masX and MASA to have their own group on The Reefuge in order to help get them members.

As for a direct answer to your question. No, I would not expect that. But I would expect them to get treated the same by whatever organisation they are both part of.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that MASA and The Reefuge are not both fast food outlets (so to speak). They are both very different and aim to achieve different things.

Thanks.

Ollie

Oct 11, 2014
I havnt been able to find any concerns raised from you?
Can you let me know who you reported to?
Also you would know who modded you as an email is sent

Happy to sort this out for you so you fee comfortable to post :)

Firstly, I would like to mention that The Reefuge allows links to any website (including MASA/RTAW) and also allows societies like masX and MASA to have their own group on The Reefuge in order to help get them members.

As for a direct answer to your question. No, I would not expect that. But I would expect them to get treated the same by whatever organisation they are both part of.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that MASA and The Reefuge are not both fast food outlets (so to speak). They are both very different and aim to achieve different things.

Thanks.
Really !! apart from masa being public and reefuge being a bussiness we are for the most part reefing forums and rely on our members to build content and traffic so not really different except masa has been around a long time and the refuge is fairly new .
just for Clarity you have never approached masov about your posts being removed
only your wish for the two to work together and register as a bussiness which was bought up in masa committee and you were informed of the decision to not allow another forum to advertise on masa . And i did bring up with masa the allowing of links to reefuge and there are some on the forum

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Really !! apart from masa being public and reefuge being a bussiness we are for the most part reefing forums and rely on our members to build content and traffic so not really different except masa has been around a long time and the refuge is fairly new.
Going back to your fast food example. It would be similar to MASA owning a building that allows businesses to have stores there. MASA also has a burger shop of its own in there. The Reefuge also has a burger shop, but is not allowed to have a shop there. Even though it is part of the masX other shops are.

just for Clarity you have never approached masov about your posts being removed only your wish for the two to work together and register as a bussiness which was bought up in masa committee and you were informed of the decision to not allow another forum to advertise on masa .
That is incorrect. I had a discussion about it with a moderator. I will not be naming names, but it is there. Get your moderators to go through their PM's.

And i did bring up with masa the allowing of links to reefuge and there are some on the forum
Which I appreciate a lot. But the fact is that they should not have been getting removed in the first place. It was singling The Reefuge out. There was never a problem linking to other forums, only this one.

Thanks.

Going back to your fast food example. It would be similar to MASA owning a building that allows businesses to have stores there. MASA also has a burger shop of its own in there. The Reefuge also has a burger shop, but is not allowed to have a shop there. Even though it is part of the masX other shops are.

That is incorrect. I had a discussion about it with a moderator. I will not be naming names, but it is there. Get your moderators to go through their PM's.

Which I appreciate a lot. But the fact is that they should not have been getting removed in the first place. It was singling The Reefuge out. There was never a problem linking to other forums, only this one.

Thanks.
well as i am The Masov President and the masa rep for masov you have NOT contacted me regarding these post s being removed if you have contacted a masa rep then that is a whole different area so please do not make it sound like masov has been informed and not followed through as this is not true .
you are a member of masov and you are able to make non advertising posts on masov and join in any or start any threads you wish and participate in any or all masov activities

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
well as i am The Masov President and the masa rep for masov you have NOT contacted me regarding these post s being removed if you have contacted a masa rep then that is a whole different area so please do not make it sound like masov has been informed and not followed through as this is not true .
you are a member of masov and you are able to make non advertising posts on masov and join in any or start any threads you wish and participate in any or all masov activities
Apologies, I misread "masov" as masa. No, a masov rep was never contacted in regards to posts being deleted. A masa moderator was contacted though.

Thanks.

Ollie

Oct 11, 2014
So

Thanks.
you won't tell me who it was
Apologies, I misread "masov" as masa. No, a masov rep was never contacted in regards to posts being deleted. A masa moderator was contacted though.

Thanks.
its not naming and shaming mate,
It's very open,
Let me know who you contacted, I don't need to know what was said,
And I will have a chat,
It's been blown way out of proportion ,so let's just sort it and move on

so instead of posting a bitch about masa you should have gone through the correct channels to have it addressed first
a post in masov or contacting me with your concerns instead you do a post flaming
masa that won't get you far
really disappointed at this approach

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
So

you won't tell me who it was

its not naming and shaming mate,
It's very open,
Let me know who you contacted, I don't need to know what was said,
And I will have a chat,
It's been blown way out of proportion ,so let's just sort it and move on
I will not be naming names. You have the ability to converse with your moderators and reps. If you are inclined to do so, have a chat with them.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
so instead of posting a bitch about masa you should have gone through the correct channels to have it addressed first
a post in masov or contacting me with your concerns instead you do a post flaming
masa that won't get you far
really disappointed at this approach
I am not flaming masa. I am posting my concerns in how the organisation is conducting itself in regards to my membership and the fact that posts I make are being hidden and/or deleted. With proof.

I really am sorry if I have disappointed you. I too am disappointed at the approach that masa has taken. Two wrong don't make a right, but as I said, I believe this information is something that should be known.

Thanks.

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
@The Reefuge i would just cut your ties with them they are obviously jealous of the great forum we have here. it seems to be that The other sites members have "snuck" in here as they know we are better. i know it took nearly 2 years to get update their business directory and remove shops which where closed. as i stated further up this site is much better does MORE for its members than the other place and there is no abuse to members whom may ask silly questions. people seem to forget that we all have to start some where and this site every one remembers that unlike the other place. keep up the Great work and just let the other place SINK like a lead balloon

I think you get how i feel about this approach so will leave it at that !!
for the record though i have questioned the removal of your posts and this thread is being discussed in the masa committee where i can as your masa rep have a say on your behalf

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I think you get how i feel about this approach so will leave it at that !!
for the record though i have questioned the removal of your posts and this thread is being discussed in the masa committee where i can as your masa rep have a say on your behalf
You and I will not see eye to eye on this issue. However, I would like to say thanks to you for taking part in this thread and for trying to get our links unblocked.

Thanks.