Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Marlin
Hi All,
a bit off topic, but thought to share a "fishy" story.
We have my In-Laws over. My Father in Law is 91, and last trip to Australia 3 years ago, we introduced him to fishing. He is passionate about it, but cannot fish to save his life ! Any chance he gets he wants to go down to the pontoon, climb on the back of my boat and fish. He often said one day he would love to catch a big one.
Got a rare opportunity on Tuesday to get a slot on a serious game fishing boat, Mistress. After some negotiation, I was able to convince my wife that this is now also finally the time to allow my youngest, Matthew 6, to come with to the "blue ocean".
To make it short, we agreed the first hook up would be the old fella. After 3 hours we hooked up !
Turns out to be a 300 pound stripped marlin. I had to help cranking a bit, but we got it along side the boat for him to see and tag, and then we released it... he was absolutely stoked... but after 5 minutes he leaned over to tell me " that was a great experience and a great fish, but a pity we "lost" him right at the end. !! :dead
If he had his way, he would have loved to bring it home and throw it in my tank !
While we were still out there, apparently it was already on the local Radio station, and yesterday morning the channel 9 film crew came to interview him, and it was broadcast on the evening news.
He was stunned and over the moon - a true Bucket List event.
Here is the news link
Lolo’s Marlin, video 2

The water 80 Km out on the shelf, is so blue, I wish I had brought a few 200 ltr drums with for tank water !

Jac

Attachments

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
WAY back in the 80s I helped a kid, he was 8, catch a North Carolina state record Red Drum. He had this old closed face reel that was on its last leg. So he got it 1/2 way in and the old reel finally gave up the ghost so into the water I went after it. I love stories where people do something they've never done before and get some recognition for it. Love that story and the fact that you released the marlin. We need to protect the breeding stock for the next generation. They killed an 861 lb Blue Marlin here during The White Marlin Open in Ocean City, Maryland. The promoters got a metric shittonne of hate mail over it and I think next year they're going to do tag and release which is what they should do.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
WAY back in the 80s I helped a kid, he was 8, catch a North Carolina state record Red Drum. He had this old closed face reel that was on its last leg. So he got it 1/2 way in and the old reel finally gave up the ghost so into the water I went after it. I love stories where people do something they've never done before and get some recognition for it. Love that story and the fact that you released the marlin. We need to protect the breeding stock for the next generation. They killed an 861 lb Blue Marlin here during The White Marlin Open in Ocean City, Maryland. The promoters got a metric shittonne of hate mail over it and I think next year they're going to do tag and release which is what they should do.
Rob,
In Australia most do tag and release... they are just to beautiful and graceful to kill.
Way back in 1982 I joined a charter in Cairns up north, and Lee Marvin was with us... what a character - loved his fishing, drank like a fish, but at 5:30 next morning he still staggered out and was ready... that trip I got my first and only 1000 pound marlin !! Got the certificate, the T-shirt sent later and got to do the to myself - after 95 minutes, every muscle and bone in my body hurt or ceased up, and I was ready to be tagged and released myself... an experience you never forget.
It was an epic day for all. The story has gone nuts, with over 100,000 views as of last night - he feels like a real film star !

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Your father in law is fantastic for 91!!! That's amazing haha

Looks like it was a brilliant day and what an amazing treat it would have been for him to catch that as well! :D

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Your father in law is fantastic for 91!!! That's amazing haha

Looks like it was a brilliant day and what an amazing treat it would have been for him to catch that as well! :D
Wrangly,
yes it was a fantastic day. Only thing that could have topped that was I also had my youngest, Matt 6, with, and it was his turn for the next hook up.. he sat there hour after hour waiting, but no strike. On the positive, that taught him that fishing, like many things in life, needs patience. A marlin for a 91 year old GrandPa and a 6 year old, would have been asking too much... there is always another day.
First image is him waiting as it was his turn next. Second image was 3 hours later, no strike, but 3 times he got a bit seasick, but no wingeing - 12 hours on the water is a long day for a 6 year old.. made me very proud of him.
Jac

Attachments