Reef Discussion

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Marks on Foxface
I had my foxface in QT for 8 weeks where it didn't show any signs of illness and was eating well so I introduced it to my display tank. After the first night about 1 week ago, I noticed some marks on one side of the fish that I suspect might be a sting. I noticed the foxface slept in the same cave as my anemone retracts in to on the first night.
I don't think the marks have got any better or worse. The fish is still eating very well and swimming, following me along the tank as usual.
Is this something that should just clear up with time? The fish doesn't sleep in the same cave as the anemone anymore.

foxface240613.jpg

Edit:
After chatting to @dr_schell it seems to be an injury of some sort, perhaps a bite mark or scrape from a rock. I will keep an eye on it :)

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
I agree, the fish looks to be very healthy and will recover. Nice example of a fox face

The similarity of all the marks suggest minor stings from and anemone or similar invertebrate.

I love fox faces, their colouration changes are awesome, I particuarly like when they put their pyjamas on....:)

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Almost definitely an injury. Doesn't loom like a nem sting.

I would be inclined to treat it with Melafix to prevent fungal attack or infection.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I will keep a close eye on it for now, my water quality is good and the fish is eating well. The last thing I want to do is empty the tank to catch the fish for treatment. I think that would cause more stress and worsen the injury.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Just make sure it's the marine version of Melafix.

I'd be inclined to see if the injuries decline, if they appear to be healing naturally, then I think that is the best option.

Treatment is only a final option....I have heard Melafix works wonders on serious wounds on fish, and also heard of some disasters with this product.

As with anything like this, research, research and research again!

Please provide an update on how your fox face goes....:)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I don't think it looks any worse, ill get a pic tonight for comparison.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Here it is tonight. The fish was right up against the glass so it looks a little dark.
foxface270613.jpg