Reef Discussion

Allen glover

Dec 19, 2018
Marine Plants
20181219_092816.jpg
Hey all new guy from tropical australia here Just setting up a tank and wondering about "marine plants". picked up few yesterday and hoping if anyone can ID and provide tips on suitability and nutritional requirements
Thanks
Allen

bluewill

Dec 27, 2018
Definitely sargassum the little grape like spheres are air bladders which keep the algae afloat in the open ocean. Its not a great macroalgea for an enclosed system , and very rarely will live along tome , but I use it to boost a new system with copapods , its usually loaded with both copapods , and amphipods . I live in South florida , and every morning it washes up on our beaches . A large handful shaken in a large container will supply hundreds of beneficial life to a reef tank . there's also some very small crabs present so you may want to check through before tank additions of your pods .Ive have been using Sargassum to populate micro life in enclosed systems for over 30 years. Some times it will live in my refugium's but only if its floating on top of the water.

Allen glover

Dec 19, 2018
bluegill
thanks for the reply
It has certainly helped the quality of my new tank. But the sagassum is struggling though. No crabs but i now have one shrimp and it seems to have positively renewed the fan worms on my living rock. As i dont have a refugium I'll let it go as.long as possible then replace it next time I'm on the coast.