Reef Discussion

Making your own tank!
haha as much as id like to write a step by step on how to do this, i managed to make an absolute mess of this DIY.

It all started off inocently, i bought a 4 foot tank, it was supposed to be a 4x2x2. Well long story short im a retard and didn't measure it, but more on that later.

I decided it was to big so i put it up for sale, price drop after price drop no-one wanted a brand new tank.

Enter best mate who is a glassier, "lets cut it in half" he says. Sure why not, sounds simple enough. Well it was, took about 20 minutes to cut in half and he is out of there. during the exercise we discovered it was only 4x2x1.5 giving me a total cut down tank of 18x18 base and 2 foot height. whatever i dont care.

so it sat there in pieces for a few months whilst i prcrastinated about a mini closed loop, got over that idea so we finially get around to siliconing it together.

But you ahev to clean the old silicone off first, a few hours later of ranting and raving/swearing and throwing things glass is clean.

then time to silicoen it together, well i used a scrap of glass to use as a table top, well that was a bad idea cause the tank ended up siliconed to that extra piece of glass! so much rageing abotu that, finially get it seperated after a small chip is made in the glass :(

Glassier has assured me its not a structual issue and as long as silicone is sealled it wont leak... but im still packing bricks about it imploding, and now i dont know wether i should use it or just go buy a new tank.

Lesson learnt and shared, when you get a quote from a professional tank builder. just save an extra week or two, eat some two minute noodles and just buy the dam thing and save yourself the hassle unless your more than 150% confident

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Sounds like you have had some big issues with it mate. if you arnt happy with it now you never will be. the best piece of advice i can give you is scrap it save up and do it right the first time. otherwise you will be forever hateing yourself for not getting a new tank to begin with.

Goodluck :cool:

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Sounds like you have had some big issues with it mate. if you arnt happy with it now you never will be. the best piece of advice i can give you is scrap it save up and do it right the first time. otherwise you will be forever hateing yourself for not getting a new tank to begin with.

Goodluck :cool:
Note for Dynamic - this is why I don't want to build one!
Mitchell Codey - thanks for sharing your experience even though it's not a great one.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
could you/would you be game to use it as a sump? I know its a decent size tank but if you use that as a sump you can have a bigger display ;)

i coudl use ti as a sump, but same deal.

My problem is i dont want a huge display tank. ATM i know i can afford to stock it with high quality live stock and equipment, but to stock a larger tank is going to cost twice as much minimum and i know i cant afford that.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
i coudl use ti as a sump, but same deal.

My problem is i dont want a huge display tank. ATM i know i can afford to stock it with high quality live stock and equipment, but to stock a larger tank is going to cost twice as much minimum and i know i cant afford that.
And bigger doesnt always look better - i would rather a smaller tank that is done well than a bigger tank done cheaper