Reef Discussion

scottme

Apr 26, 2015
Lake Maquarie
Lymphocystis In Qt
VirusFish1.jpg
Hi all,

I'd like some guidance. I have a 3ft full sump QT tank with 7 fish.

I am almost ready to re-introduce these fish to my fishless DT. I added a pair of Perculas 10 days ago and was away on holiday for a few days. I had a few issues with equipment (circ. pump stop working, sump level got too high and skimmer overflowed), but recovered and cleared it up (water change etc.).

I noticed one of the percs had a smallish lump above the gills and also a Chromis had a noticeable area of whitish scales at the top of it's head. I strongly believe that they have Lymphocystis. Both seem to be eating and swimming well regardless.

So do I isolate by moving the virus free fish to the DT or do I leave them all in the QT and treat them all?

As a curious aside, I also have a pair of Oscillarus. I know I shouldn't mix them, but the Dt should be big enough to accommodate both pairs. They are all about the same size (young adults), although 1 of the occys is smaller. I figured the 2 pairs would just hang out, but it turns out that the 2 larger Occy and Prec seem to prefer to hang out and same with the other cross pair. Yes, they do odd little dances and displays, but they seem to be getting on OK together at this stage. The 2 larger clowns are shown in the pic.

Thanks again!

Trash

Jan 21, 2013
Based on a few things, I don't think it's lymphocystis. A) I'm not sure that lymphocystis develops that quickly. B) it is not commonly associated with damsels (more butterflies and angels). C) lymphocystis usually presents on the fins.

Unfortunately I think you need to re-start the QT process again and make sure the water quality is top notch. Hopefully you will see improvement, if it gets worse, at least they are in quarantine and you can treat accordingly.

Good luck