Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Living In My Sump
I have heaps of this is the bio balls in my sump .......has anyone any idea please
IMG_1922.jpg
IMG_1921.jpg

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Are they more white in person than in the photos? And are they stationary?

If yes to both - I made a similar enquiry months ago and the consensus seemed to be that they were small sponges of some sort. Beneficial to the system overall.

Others way more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly, and I could very well be wrong, but happy to be corrected and learn.

Jart's 3ft Shallow "Cube" Adventure

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Are they more white in person than in the photos? And are they stationary?

If yes to both - I made a similar enquiry months ago and the consensus seemed to be that they were small sponges of some sort. Beneficial to the system overall.

Others way more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly, and I could very well be wrong, but happy to be corrected and learn.

Jart's 3ft Shallow "Cube" Adventure
thank you very much

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Yeah these are good guys. Don't be surprised if you see hundreds of them in the sump!

Webb

Sep 21, 2014
Interested in knowing too.
I had a nano get over run with those furry looking things when curing some rock, had to start again as they just kept coming back with a vengeance. Still find them clogging filter media so I clear them out all the time.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
These sponges seem to like one particular compartment in my sump. :) Not sure why, but must be some preferred combination of light/flow/temp etc. This compartment has my mini GFO reactor in it. Every few weeks I lift up the reactor and its pump, and knock off all the sponges I can easily access into my cryptic zone. Hoping in a year or so to have the whole zone covered in filtering sponges.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think they prefer low light areas, which is why you are more likely to find them in the sump or weir rather than the main display tank.