Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Live Rock
Just a quick question people. I have some live rock that I took out of my tank 2 days ago. I left it outside, and it dried up over 2 days. Does this mean the rock is not live anymore? If I was to rinse it in water, and put it in the tank, will it be okay, or will it start a small cycle?

I want to put it in the tank, but I need to make sure it has nothing that is going to start a cycle in it.

Thanks.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
most of the activity of the live rock is within the rrock (pores and holes in it). It the surface dries, this is ok, but any dead material (if not removed) will decay in your tank and cause a mini / maxi cycle (depending on the extent of the dead material). The bacteria within the rock should be ok, as it should have remained moist (unless your rock was exposed to FULL SUN/HEATERS)

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It was exposed to full sun. I really want it to become just normal rock. What will happen if I put it in the oven for a few hours? Will that ensure everything on it dies?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
leave it in the full sun for a week. You will be able to smell when all the stuff has die! You could also cook it, but once you put it in your aquarium, it may "re-cycle" your tank as the dead/cooked critters rot.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Because it is the LR from the edge when it got contaminated. So I am guessing the rock itself is also holding contaminated water. I purchased some new LR so I am guessing by adding dead rock it will make it live again.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Dynamic, regardless of what you do with this rock, it will cause a mini-cycle if it was once living. I suggest putting it in a bucket of salt water and aerating the water. This will give the dead organisms time to breakdown and rot/be eaten by bascteria outside of your tank. Give it a few weeks than introduce back into your tank. If you can seed the bucket water with some microbes from an established tank, this will speed up the process.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
alternatively, if you skimm your tank \keavily, the skimmer is likely to remove alot of the excess protein/bacteria as it is libretated into the water.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks for the info Doc. Yeah I will just do that. I don't want to start a mini cycle that is why I wanted to rock to be completely clear of anything living on it. Then seed the rock using the LR currently in the tank.

Cheers!