Reef Discussion

Regarding feeding blackworms to your tank:

• Total voters

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Live Black Worms
I'm wondering how many people feed live black worms?

I'm thinking of experimenting with blackworm cultivation and I'm wondering if there's any interest, not in buying but in the processes involved?

Please complete poll above, marking all relevant choices.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
There is a PaulB I think on Reef Central who has fed blackworms to all his fish for years. I used them to get my copperband to eat and all the fish loved them The dragonettes used to pounce on them. The question of parasites is brought up using these though- ? if true or not

When I had them I kept mine going in a tupperware container with about 2-3cm of water over them and torn up brown paper bag as a substrate. Attached an airpump. Used to change the water completely daily. fed them algae wafers;pellets etc.

deL

Mar 3, 2013
Canberra, ACT
The question of parasites is brought up using these though- ? if true or not
I doublt the ones farm-raised in fresh water will carry anything significant to reef fish, but there's probably not much info out there about it.

Before I had to take down my two nano reefs (had to go interstate for 2-3 months) I fed live Aussie blackworms occasionally. I didn't usually buy them specifically for the marines but would give them the leftover once my FW fish were done with them. I found that the fish generally loved them (especially the filefish and cardinalfish) and so did the shrimp (CBS, palaemon sp., peps) and some of the more predatory corals would also eat them. I observed no ill effects but I can't really vouch for their nutritional value. High protein, moderately high fat I think.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
So the fish didn't like the taste of the worms by day 3. Threw them out on day 4 as there was some die off happening and they smell. I was rinsing them and changing the water daily. Found the whole thing gross - I love my fish, but not that much!

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
I use blackworms for some fish during quarantine. Most of my established fish won't eat them, but apparently fish breeders maintain they're an essential part of conditioning livestock for breeding.

Depending on how fresh they were when I got them, I've had them last for a fortnight or so in cooler weather and twice daily flushing; or as little as three days. A botanist was in my LFS once and gave the owner a piece of wood which they could feed from, presuming they might want to cultivate them. No idea if they followed through but suspect not.

Finally, just a tip for anyone new to them: if any start dying or stop wriggling 'enthusiastically' they could be on their way out. Apparently they can carry Vibrio then, something you'd never want to accidentally introduce to your fish or corals.

HTH
Angie

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Once black worms start to go downhill, they're really hard to keep. They need to be rinsed daily and unless you're cultivating them, they need to be kept refrigerated.