News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Lindt Hostage Situation Thread
For those of you who are unable to keep up to date via the T.V/Radio, here is a live update thread. Provided by Reddit.com

Please feel free to discuss what's happening in this thread. Racist comments will not be tolerated.

Attachments

Last edited:

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
•Gunmen have made demands on live radio to speak to the Australian Prime Minister. [00:30 GMT]

I reckon that we are better off if they get NO air time.
don't say where they are from or what they are fighting for just call these small minority group thugs.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I have added an auto-updating page to the first post of this thread. As news breaks, it will automatically update the new thread. Feed is provided by www.reddit.com

E

ezza

No. Justice for him is going to court and being tried by a judge and sent to gaol for the rest of his life. Killing is not a good thing. Even killing a "bad guy". So far he hasn't hurt anyone. It's likely that he isn't actually going to. Not until he's backed into a corner and sees no way out for himself at least. I think they'll wear him down and the matter can be peacefully resolved.

I had a lot of friends and family, my brother within the area today. Right now, a friend, the minister of St Philips Anglican Church on York Street is standing outside the shop praying. Keep hope that no one will be hurt, justice can be enacted and we will all be able to feel safe again in the city.

Sydney holds a special place in my heart. It's MY city. This won't break us.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Knowing how terrorism works is the best way to counter act it.

This is why I fucking LOVE the "ill ride with you" campaign.
I hope it gets massive global coverage to show ISIL that the hate and scaring will not divide Australians/Muslims but bring is closer together.

Last edited:
E

ezza

i don't think that's ewhat he wants. he would have blown himself up.

he's a media whore. the daily telegraph printed his "history" of recent crimes etc... we all know this guy.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Very sad for all involved, including the gunman. It shows you how people can gradually drift so far from reality with desperation that they justify acts like this. I hope an equal amount of good comes out of it. the #i'llridewithyou movement was heartening to see @OSCAR85

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
War is so stupid.
These tit for tat attacks are going to continue until we can improve the quality of life, above basic survival for 2 billion of the worlds people.

That said, dont mess with our chocolate man.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
He needs to die a sad old man in prison. Killing him will give him what he wants.
Yes I ave to agree and with ezza's sentiment. I don't wish harm on anyone for no reason. But once he walked in there with a gun he lost any right's for a equal protection. If it had been me and i had the decision to take him out to guarantee everyone else's safety I would in a flash as soon as the opportunity arises.

and the 'i will ride with you' is a great thing to come out of it indeed. Hopefully it will start to sink in to some of these other idiots defacing mosques that they are behaving shamefully against innocent people.

It always sits uncomfortable with me though like the Boston bombing or when one westerner gets beheaded. So much media and fan fair no doubt for days to come about two people killed, when so many are dying from suicide bombs, terrorism, Isis etc every day. Largely because of the way our government helped un stabilize the region by attacking and deposing the Iraq regime based on a lie.

Then we criticize Russia for the same thing in Ukraine.

Russia back Assard, we fund the rebels fuel the fire in Siria helping Isis establish themselves.

The world is just so fucked up at the moment.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Yes I ave to agree and with ezza's sentiment. I don't wish harm on anyone for no reason. But once he walked in there with a gun he lost any right's for a equal protection. If it had been me and i had the decision to take him out to guarantee everyone else's safety I would in a flash as soon as the opportunity arises.

and the 'i will ride with you' is a great thing to come out of it indeed. Hopefully it will start to sink in to some of these other idiots defacing mosques that they are behaving shamefully against innocent people.

It always sits uncomfortable with me though like the Boston bombing or when one westerner gets beheaded. So much media and fan fair no doubt for days to come about two people killed, when so many are dying from suicide bombs, terrorism, Isis etc every day. Largely because of the way our government helped un stabilize the region by attacking and deposing the Iraq regime based on a lie.

Then we criticize Russia for the same thing in Ukraine.

Russia back Assard, we fund the rebels fuel the fire in Siria helping Isis establish themselves.

The world is just so fucked up at the moment.
I agree with this. As soon as he put innocent people in the line of fire for his own needs he loses his right to life.

That being said, this was not a religiously motivated attack (from what I have gathered). So far all signs point to him simply not wanting to go to jail so he figured taking hostages would be his get out of jail free card. He is no different to someone like Martin Bryant, rather than someone like Osama Bin Laden.