Reef Discussion

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Light Recommendation Pls For Braced Tank
Hello Everyone,

One of the main issues I need to address with my tank before getting back on the coral bandwagon is lighting.

I have a Maxspect Razor, which was fantastic for lighting my previous 600 and 900mm wide tanks, but my tank is also 900mm deep, which poses a problem. It has been fine up until now as I just placed my small number of corals where the light was. I can light the back 600mm of the tank really well, or the front 600mm, but not the whole depth. :p

I will likely get the wide angle lenses from Maxspect for my light and that will help, but still going to be enough. Also, have a problem where one of the adjustment screws has frozen in the light fitting so that I can't remove one of the pieces required to replace one of the lenses. :(

So I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for a light similar in concept to the Maxspect Ethereals that I recently saw on DaveH's new tank, but that can mount on a tank with bracing? Don't want to add another "strip" light would look odd to have two different strip lights. Tank is 500mm deep. Would be good if the recommended light could do at least a 450 x 450 patch. Even better if it could do closer to 600 x 450.

Other considerations:
* happy to consider second hand lights for more bang for my buck
* won't post a budget here for now so that I can get the full gamut of options, but below the cost of a second Razor would be good
* would like a light decent enough to help me keep some SPS, assuming further down the track I can get my water chemistry to the right level consistently.

TIA for any wisdom shared.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hey mate ,
IF you want to keep SPS you cant go past a quality T5s fixture IMO.
Also considering your tank is 900mm deep might be worth looking at MHs
I would recommend a T5 & MH combo