Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
LFS advice on corals
I was in the LFS looking at some montis and commented on brown colouring and the guy said that only happens when shipping and they will colour up...true or false

If true, how do you know what colour you are buying?

Does the same apply to acros?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Personally I wouldn't buy an already brown acro, it can take a long time to colour up and the colour often changes anyway,

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
All corals can come back from being brown but it takes a long time. Most fish stores give away brown ones with purchases

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My understanding is that the brown colour is caused by an increase in the amount of zooxanthellae within the coral tissue as it was not getting enough nutrition from those it had, probably due to a reduction in light.

Over time, with better water quality and light the coral will expel the excess zooxanthellae and the original colour will return. Keep in mind though that any coral will potentially take on a different colour in different tanks due to differing environmental conditions.

This is an example of what I am talking about - I have no doubt the the current colour of this coral is different to what it was originally but it is definitely a lot better than it was.
SPS1.jpg

I agree with Matt - it is hard enough to keep SPS corals without taking on one that has obviously been stressed. Depends on the price of course;)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Funny enough Shane that coral used to be a bluey green now it's going purple by the looks !