Tank Journal Archive

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Let There Be Light!
If you had happened upon my previous journal entries you would know that a few weeks ago my clumsiness resulted in my LED light taking a short swim in my tank. Skip down the bottom if you just want to see what I got. :)

The previous Maxspect was a good light for me for quite a while. I could of done with a second light to better, or more evenly, light my cube tank, but overall with a few minor restrictions of coral placement it did a good job with my LPS and softies.

So decisions, decisions:

1. to SPS or not to SPS, that is the question. I have always been intrigued by fellow reefers' SPS dominant tanks, but accepted that my lighting and flow were not up to snuff, plus I was always a little worried about my ability to maintain excellent water parameters.
DECISION - would like to go down the path of adding some SPS in the next 12-18 months

2. so which lights? From feedback/advice about lighting on the forum here and research elsewhere, it seemed to be that main schools of thought for a tank with SPS are:
- metal halide / T5 / hybrid - proven results my many reefers over many years re: coral growth and look, technology is very mature VS cost of replacement bulbs was going to hurt every 8-12 months, high quality versions of these (ATI PM, Giessemann) quite expensive
- higher end LED - most common recommendations being AI Hydra vs Ecotech Radion; highly adjustable, lots of reefers using them with excellent results VS expensive, tech keeps changing/improving

3. mounting options - my tank is located partially under an open staircase, which has a few downsides and limitations, but is overall the best location compromise in our house. Hanging lights not really an option as I don't want to be attaching to the stair treads. My tank also has a 1 inch "rim", to lower risk of fish jumping out. So some mounting options only work for rimless tanks and can't be used on my tank.

THE GOOD. What did I choose?

Once I made my decision, it took a few weeks to gather the funds for this unexpected purchase - had to sell the Red Sea Reefer Nano I had planned for another project and sold one of my bikes. See the pic below for what I settled on.

as26.postimg.cc_cjmsswcnt_20180411_074743.jpg

It was a compromise on the mounting as the single mount arms were less obtrusive, but only worked on rimless tanks and I didn't want to attach anything to my open stairwell treads. It is fine from the main viewing side, but the secondary viewing side now has a large vertical rail obscuring some of the view. I have the option of cutting the rail off, but am hesitating atm to hack something brand new.

Stuck with AI and now have a pair of 26s and a prime on the tank. Very happy with the quality and adjustability of the lights. Have found some presets from other reefers that I am trying. Corals are loving the light. I thought they were opening up fully before, but I was at least a little wrong.

On the downside, for the first time I am getting some green non-hair algae on some of my rockwork. I have shortened the lighting intensity and the overall photoperiod and added a few more CUC. Fingers crossed I can stop the algae in its tracks.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Forgot to add - another contributing factor of the algae on the rocks is likely the tank adjusting to the increased feeding over the last month due to the new fish I have added. Might need to try target feeding a few of the new fish rather than feeding the whole tank more until the shy ones get enough, lol. :)