Reef Discussion

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
Lessons Learned
Guys

Thought I would kick this off with a newbie mistake I made.

Using Salt water as tank top off

Salinity went up to 1.029 before I realised I should be using pure water

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
Nothing I guess I caught it in time.

I have an RO/DI filter so I just scooped some water out and added some pure water over the course of a few days

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
:eek: Evap topup must allways been toped up with RO water!!. salinity wont cause to many issues untill 1.030+ so you caught it in time! slowly bring it down over the next few days/weeks

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
oh i see what we are doing here :rolleyes
for me leaving the skimmer to drain into a container then coming home to a flooded room :cry

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the interesting thing about salinity and fish is that fish can handle quite easly rapid drops in salinity. Physiologically, their bodies (i.e. kidneys) do not have to work so hard at conserving water. Often ehan fish are ill, dropping the salinity can help in their recovery. For instance with a parasitic infection such as ich, dropping the salinity helps to reduce dehydration often associed with this disease (e.g. sudden wasting and thinness may be attributed to loss of moisture through interuption to the fish slime coat as a result of the parasite.
However, raising the salinity is a different matter. Raising the salinity has to be done over an exteneded time as the fish has to "pysologically" adapt the the increases in salt by altering its biochemical processes. Increasing the salinity causes stress in fish when done suddenly. Alternatively the dropping the salinity by the same margin causes little if any stress (within certian limits)