Reef Discussion

deL

Mar 3, 2013
Canberra, ACT
Leather turning black
Just ordered online as a group buy with a friend. My corals are all doing fine despite some tank water parameter disruption. His two leathers and current leather are not doing too well - nothing fatal but the interesting part is that his bone-white leather is now turning black.

Not black spots like necrosis or a sting but black all over. It's not noticably shrivelled or stressed but just colour changed.

It seems like this is harmless and maybe a reaction to new light (Quite strong LEDs), new tank params or maybe "shedding" to grow but I thought I'd get a second opinion.

SG is 1.025 and there was recently a nano-skimmer added (do leathers enjoy dissolved organics so much that pristine water harms them?). Ammo/Nitrite/Nitrate all nil or negligible.

Photos before:

asphotos_f.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_ash3_601936_613258972034937_660699238_n.jpg

And after:

ai.imgur.com_noo5uWq.jpg

Just stress of the move/handling/environment change or something more sinister?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I doubt the nitrate is nil or negligible - 60l tank; tap water top up; and 4 fish + the amount of algae showing in the picture suggests a water quality problem.

How long has the coral been in the tank as there appears to be algae already growing over it?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hate to say it but we have had three green leather's go the same way & it has never ended well.
No idea why they did this as everything else in the tank was fine.
We have just put it on the list of things we just can't keep. :(

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
The coral is dying. With respect, your water quality is not ideal. The algae is taking over, including the coral. This indicates very high PO4.

In addition, there is evidence of elevated ammonia, dissolved organics and possibly undesirable metals, (from the tap water), which is likely contributing to coral death.

Leathers are very hardy, coping with elevated PO4 and NO3, the condition here is indicative of serious problems with water issues. I'm not confident your leather coral will recover from this.

Just wondering what internal pumps and skimmer you are using?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
If the leather arrived 'bone white' then it was likely already on its way.

Those bubbles all over everything also suggest dinoflagellates, which you might want to look into.

deL

Mar 3, 2013
Canberra, ACT
Thanks will pass it on to my friend. However he is certain that he checks parameters quite regularly with a saltwater master kit and I know our tap water in Canberra is quite good with regard to ammonia and nitrates - phosphates I have not checked. Perhaps all of the algae is masking the nitrate readings as it is sequestered.