Reef Discussion

bigmuddy11

Aug 10, 2014
Land Hermit Crabs
Hi all i am looking for experienced land hermit crab owners for advice as needed. I accidentally fell into being an owner thanks to my soft heart at a pet shop. Was there to get the daughter some fish to cycle a new fresh tank and saw a couple large hermits... between golf ball and tennis ball size . Neither could hide in their shells with from the eyes forward hanging out . Even to me they looked unhappy. Sooo bought them and a small tank and set up requirements. Got home and did some major study . Within a week managed to get a 3 ft tank much better suited to their size 5 inchs of substrate to bury in which they did not have at the shop. And after reading about stress causing death went into panic mode over the poor things not being able to hide in their shells at all literally 3/4 of their leg length and behind the eyes so the head was exposed as well. Thinking they would be so stressed from living that way for a long time and the 3 hr trip back from the pet shop to home i thought death would occur soon. So posted on facebook for bigger shells urgently (there were none big enough in any shops within 2 hr drive ) got a hit and drove a 120 km round trip for 3 shells lol. Got humidity right in tank and had bedroom set on 30degrees for tank to be 25 until i got an under tank heater pad and now the female crab has gone down for a moult, i know as i accidentally uncovered her while changing from the course substrate to finer substrate she had been down for 2 days so figured she was prepping to moult and wanted to improve the conditions further. I accidentally flicked a bit of loose hard top shell and touched a soft leg . How much damage have i done stress wise ? I lightly covered her back up asap with the fine moist with saltwater fine coconut bedding to a depth of about 4 inches and have left her alone keeping an eye on the big male to make sure he doesnt try to eat her though he is digging in a lot too so he might be going down for a mould soon as well. Going by what i have read they are both over 10 years old so anyone know how long they will be hiding for ? And anything i need to do more for a sucessful moult. I went into this very unprepared but i am doing everything i can fast as i can to make them happy chappies.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Interesting story @bigmuddy11 - it sounds like you are doing your best to make the crabs comfortable. As this is a reef aquarium forum I'm not sure how much help you will get though - I can't remember any other members mentioning land hermit crabs but hopefully someone will know what they are talking about.

Do you have any pictures?

Good luck.

bigmuddy11

Aug 10, 2014
Can get a pic of husbands male he is still out and about. The cheeky bugger dug down very close to my girl, i guess she smells delish ! So again had to uncover her to find her position then got 2 sides of the small glass tank and cordoned her off then recovered her. Poor girl really hope she survives all this. Learning the ins and outs fast but really hate learning on the spot. Prefer to have bucket loads of info before heading into something... crab in pic is the male. My girl is a little bit bigger
20140811_104829.jpg

20140811_104746.jpg