Tank Journal Archive

Jonny's 2ft sps reef. (Planning stage)
Introduction:Hi guys, been reeding for a while now about 3 years. I work at Kingston aquarium and run their tanks on Saturdays. My main objective is to creat a sps dominated tank. I would like to add some rare morphs and zoas too :)

Reefing Since:2009

System Objectives: sps dominated tank/little bit of lps

Type of reef:amazing reef haha

Display System: 2ft tank in build fuge

Initial Fill Date: January 20th

Display Tank Dimensions:

Display Lighting: 60 watt custom led fitting

Stand:

Hood or Rimless: rimless

Sump Design:fuge and heater compartment

Filtration:

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: ASW

Display Water circulation: 1300 litre wavemaker will get a mp10es

Return Pump:400litre pump

Skimmer:na

Evaporation Top Up:

Chemical additions: red sea dosin system

Calcium Addition:

Alkilinity Addition:

Magnesium Addition:

Prodibiotics Addition:

Coral Food Addition:
Here's a pic of the led fitting will put a pic of the tank up
image.jpg

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Sounds like you're going to do a nice setup.
I have a custom 60cm tank with DIY LED sytem also. I'll be interested to see how you do yours.
Keep the pics coming.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i would never go skimmerless personaly but will be interesting to see what happens! you definitely will need some form of surface skimming to keep the oily film away

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
If you ever decide to get a skimmer try the AquaMedic TurboFloto Blue 500. They're a brilliant, super quiet, super effective skimmer for that size (and bit bigger) tank. They fit in a 100mm wide space which looks about what you have.

Thanks mate! I've got my rock cycling in a seperate quarantine tank. Just gona put acrylic rods and putty it a bit. Very minis cal aqua scape if I can help it. Want to let as much grow out as possible.

Got my Calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, phosphate, ph and nitrate kits of a rtaw reefer. Ill probably wont buy ammonia and nitrite and test them at work. I plan on cycling the tank for 2 months at least. I tested the Natural sea water outside my house, in a fairly good area. AT sg 1.026 Calcium was 440 ppm and alkalinity 10 magnesium 1280. Pretty good levels. The levels are diffrent at a lower salinity because the specific gravity of our natural sea water is about 1.022 i have to raise it to 1.026 by evaporation