Reef Discussion

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Jebao Rw 15
Hellooo

Anyone good with these pumps? I just unplugged mine to do a tidy up on some cabling and I cant get it to come back on.

Cleaning it off now to see if I can pull it apart and find something jamming it

I'm running it with the Wifi controller thing from fish street, if anything has any ideas that'd be mighty helpful.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Soak the impeller in vinegar for a little while. Salts get in there and dry and as long as they're running they're good to go. If they stop for a while they can seize up. Pull the ceramic shaft out of it CAREFULLY because if you break it, you're screwed.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Yep I've tried a factory reset on it, plugged it into the other power supply and controller and still nothing. It may have just died but bit of odd timing considering i was rearranging wires and stuff.

Is there a trick to pulling the cover off? The shaft seems to spin fine when I move it with my finger, it was only off for a few minutes before I tried turning it back on.

It's soaking in vinegar today because the shell of it is covered in coraline and i can't get at it.

If it's broke do you think it's okay to leave the tunze on one side and the other RW-15 doing the pulse/ reef mix for some randomed flow or should I be trying to get another

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Soak the entire pump is straight Vinegar for 12-24 hours. Then gentle scrub with an old toothbrush under warm water - every part should come up like new.

As @ReeferRob pointed out while they are running it's fine, but if they stop they can jam and not restart. Pulling part apart and removing impeller should be fairly easy on most pumps.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I found these pumps would work great until you cleaned them and then they would be a pain in the butt after that.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I found these pumps would work great until you cleaned them and then they would be a pain in the butt after that.
I did too until I scrubbed the impeller shaft with a piece of Scotchbrite pad and vinegar. I don't know how available they are down there, but they're a great thing to have when working on pumps.

Adam, you have to twist the face of the powerhead to get it to come apart and the growth on them really makes it difficult. Once it's apart clean the inside where the magnet goes as well, the salts build up there too. I suspect that's a place that's causing issues for you too Buddy. Soak it for an hour or 2 and I use a chopstick to gently remove the build up in there, you don't want to score it and make areas where the salts can build up.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Alright it's been in Vinegar since Sunday night so I'll go try clean it off tonight. I was able to spin the impeller by hand easily just clicks around like most pumps so I don't know if it's jammed. But will give it a shot anyway... I feel like this has happened to me before and just having it off for a while sorted itself.

The wifi controller might have just crapped itself, but cleaning it won't hurt. fingers crossed!

If it is properly dead, what should I get to replace it? (I can just leave it with the tunze 6025) But I was looking up the gyre style pumps.

There's a new one out for $300AUD Galmorca or something it,s apparently licensed by the macspect crew so it's not a complete dodgy knockoff.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Finally got round to pulling it apart gave it a good clean out, tried it on the other power supply as well. It's all over RIP RW 15 you served well