Tank Journal Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
JASON's SHALLOW REEFTANK
Introduction:

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read, and provide input on what will be my 3rd, and best so far, Reef Tank journal. Kick back and lets go on this journey together, through the highs and lows of what for most becomes not only an addiction, but a lifestyle.
Keeping SPS was once basically limited keeping SPS alive as long as possible, with most tanks featuring browned out masses of SPS, but has now moved on to modern scientific methology enabling us to grow and proporgate some of the most difficult animals on Earth to maintain in captivity.
Anyway, that basically sums up my new system, that is, too grow, maintain, and proporgate the most colorful SPS seen.
I plan on having no fish in this system, with minimal live rock, to enable easy maintenance of ultra low nutrient levels.
This will be the only area of Reefkeeping that will be new to me, as all my previous SPS systems have had heavy bio-loads, ncluding an abundance of fish.
One thing that always sticks with me though, is that the only nutrients that go into a reeftank are what YOU PUT IN, ie. fish food, etc etc.
I also do not want to become a slave to my tank again, and i'm hoping that without fish, snails, etc. daily checking, re-standing of SOMETHING (corals rocks etc) in the tank may be a thing of the past.
Due to the proposed lack of nutrients in the system, some form of food for the corals will be required, be it minimal compared to the heavy feeding of a fully stocked reeftank that has an assortment of fish.
My aim of this system is that a quick daily check of the tank, top up RO resevoir weekly, regular monthly water changes, and maybe a few pics and proporgation tasks every now and then and that is all this system will require.

Reefing Since: 2005

System Objectives: Only 1 objective, To grow good quality SPS corals.

Type of reef: SPS only, NO FISH

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: TBA

Display Tank Dimensions: 1540mm(L) x 900mm(W) x 450mm(H)

Display Lighting: LED

Stand: CUSTOM TIMBER

Hood or Rimless:

Sump Design:

Filtration: Skimmer/Macro

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: ASW ONLY

Display Water circulation: TBA

Return Pump: TBA

Skimmer: MARINE SOURCES

Evaporation Top Up: AQUA MEDIC

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: KALK/CAL REACTOR

Alkilinity Addition: TBA

Magnesium Addition: TBA

Prodibiotics Addition: TBA

Coral Food Addition: TBA

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
Going to look good, maybe one or two fish? Just so it looks like not a dead area in the tank, but if you get fish, make sure they are the rarest most attractive fish you can afford

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
All sounds good, look forward to seeing it progress. Nice DIY stand!!

Understand where you are coming from on the fish ... I would stock a single coral goby or something just for fun ;)

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Looks liek you have taken over the place.. :-)
I'll be watching with interest and might ask the add roll of the eyes question but hope not too many..
Best of luck.. what light you planning on? (Is that my first)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hey Jas! Good to see you here. Totally agree about the fish, I'm not very interested in them myself and I tend to worry about them constantly and it's not enjoyable - corals all the way! Will be following along, I'm sure its going to be a great system

'vspec'

Aug 26, 2012
Melbourne
Ah... here we go, another minimalist;)
I look forward to seeing your structure bud. Kudos for having a crack

So welcome to the fold @Jason Angel , look forward to seeing you mix it up

As to toys syno, I think his words to the misses 'i'm organising the mess",....... is just code speak to catch another look at the Brittany Spears collection ..muahaha.

So tell me something Azazel, I mean Jason Angel, even though this suckers in the basement. Are you planning to clad it up the framing nice and modern?

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Hi Jason,

welcome back, good luck with the new set up. A bit has changed with equipment since you've been away, a lot more energy efficient etc.

Ryan

So tell me something Azazel, I mean Jason Angel, even though this suckers in the basement. Are you planning to clad it up the framing nice and modern?
Nah this tank is all about functionality.... But that doesnt mean there wont be an upstairs tank in the future that is clean looking.... with just an overflow and return line to basement... one day that is :(

Status
Not open for further replies.