Help / Suggestions

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
issues with PM & Alerts
i am having great issues with pm & alerts, they do not work for the last week, i cant view stuf, i am running on a ipad and still getting the same issues with the java console and cant send pm to place an order.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello chris B,

I emulated your account yesterday, and everything is working okay from my end. I am not getting javascript errors or the like. Alerts are also working as they should be. If you like, we can set up a new account for you to see if everything gets better, but you will lose your post count and anything else associated with your account.

Please let me know if you are interested in taking this path.

Thanks.

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
this is always the issues with my account, i have tried on bigpond connection and i have a new laptop as well, it should happen as well, i have even tested it on a friends account and they are with bigpond as well and it happens there as well. but will test it with a optus provider and see what happens, if the still the same, i will report back to you. i have spoken hosting provider and been advised it might be the provider they are using , which is having issues with the java console on there hosting account. I know this is been supplied by a company, which i would not say who,i will get back to you asap, as you see from my previous post ,its been an ongoing issues with this account since you guys put restrictions on the account, i bet you guys have slowed down my access , Also restriction of trade is prohibited as well, stopping people from trading on any website, Which you guys are in breach of at present, maybe you should be aware that you are in breach at present. i will not take any action, unless you keep doing on what your mod last night did , removed the post, which i found abit rude and should be dealt with by the owner of the site.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello chris B,

Your post is easier for me to reply to if I reply to it in sections.

this is always the issues with my account, i have tried on bigpond connection and i have a new laptop as well, it should happen as well, i have even tested it on a friends account and they are with bigpond as well and it happens there as well. but will test it with a optus provider and see what happens, if the still the same, i will report back to you. i have spoken hosting provider and been advised it might be the provider they are using , which is having issues with the java console on there hosting account. I know this is been supplied by a company, which i would not say who,i will get back to you asap, as you see from my previous post ,its been an ongoing issues with this account since you guys put restrictions on the account, i bet you guys have slowed down my access ,
chris B,

I have kept an eye on the issues that you have been reporting, and I have done everything I can to find out what could be causing these problems. So far, every avenue I have gone down has lead me to no errors. At the current time, all other members of the forum are not experiencing the same issues as you are experiencing, nor are mods or admins.

I have checked every avenue there is, and I am yet to find anything that could be causing these issues for you. Because of this, the next likely cause is user operation. This means that it is possible that you are doing something to cause these issues to your account. I am not saying that is what is happening, but it is the next candidate in line.

I also do not know what restrictions on your account you are talking about. There have been no restrictions placed on your account software-wise. The only restrictions placed on your account (again, non-software related) is that you are no longer allowed to;

1) Trade coral frags with other members.
2) Go to an LFS telling them that you are a reviewer for The Reefuge and you would like free samples to review for our site.

Other than that, there are no more restrictions. These restrictions are only in place due to your actions in the past.

Also restriction of trade is prohibited as well, stopping people from trading on any website, Which you guys are in breach of at present, maybe you should be aware that you are in breach at present. i will not take any action, unless you keep doing on what your mod last night did , removed the post, which i found abit rude and should be dealt with by the owner of the site.
chris B,

As stated at an earlier date, the moderator who asked you not to take free frags from members here, and trade them for money over at another site has been dealt with. I agree, once they are your frags, you can do as you wish on any other site or group in the world. The moderator was simply a little bit disappointed, as were other members of The Reefuge, that you would ask for free frags, then sell them. You are allowed to do as you wish on any other site.

The reason you are no longer allowed to trade frags on this website is because the frags you did receive from members of The Reefuge, were the same frags you were selling on this website. This is completely within The Reefuge website and has no outside influence.

To conclude this needless conversation, as I have spoken to you about it countless times in the past, please play nice on this website. Everything is given to you for free and paid by my own wallet. All I ask in return is that members treat one another with respect, and do not threaten staff members when they do not get their way. Threatening me with some sort of legal action, will not help, as there has been absolutely no wrong doing on our behalf.

So please, play nice and enjoy yourself.

Thanks.

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
You need to really look at the issues, as i have tested it now with 3 service providers and it has still not been resolved. these issues are still happing and the main concern is still there, this cant be swept under the carpet at present.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Nobody else is having issues Chris it must be something your doing wrong or your hardware. It doesn't sound like anything is being "swept under the carpet" given everything is here for all to see.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
You need to really look at the issues, as i have tested it now with 3 service providers and it has still not been resolved. these issues are still happing and the main concern is still there, this cant be swept under the carpet at present.
Hi chris B,

I am sorry, but I have looked into every possible cause. I have gone in through the back end of unix to see what the problem could be, and until now, I have not seen a single error logged due to your account. I am not trying to sweep it under the carpet, I have been as open as I possibly can be.

I am sorry you are facing these issues, but neither I nor anybody else on this forum is able to reproduce the errors you are facing. I am open to suggestions on what could be the cause, but everything seems fine on this end.

Thanks.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I think if there was a way to prevent access to reefing forums my wife would have already done it to me.

A side note well hopefully a side note, I haven't been able to use the java based chat on a different reefing site for about six months now, maybe she has worked something out

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
i have tried other java site that use the console and they work fine, its only this site.

It really happens when thee page tries to load and times out, like just a couple of mins ago it too 5 mins to load the page, and i had to refresh the site 5 times, than i was able to get into this post, someone time the other issues,, it takes ages to post a message for a reply and it will come up with the error. i am thinking out loud here, it doesnt happen when you use phpbb forums, they work like a dream,

it might be within the software , when the connetion times out , it will give a whie page. i have never had isssues with any sites within australia, this only started to happen, you restricted my account. if that could be the issues.

maybe it could be the forum software that the telstra bigpond servers, that they do not like that type of traffic coming from the site, as the site is hosted overseas like most of them.

as i have been working with forum software for quite some time, i have never seen this type of isssues before, it could be with the coding of the fuctions of the site,

have you tested it with another provider at all. using a better server, with better performance, it could relate to the provider causing thee issues of the hosting of the site and the routing of the traffic to bigpond through routers.

see how you go, i will do more research and get back to you, at present its manily a telstra connection where it happens alot

V

'vspec'

I'd get an error once in a blue moon. However never anything like your referring to.

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
i cant uninstall anything as i am using a ipad and its brand new as well, after looking at the forum software, there has beenn a couple of reported bugs, which might be the issues casuing these to happen.

phb5
when replying to long posted post

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
One I believe the site is hosted in aus now I'm not a computer man but for someone who has "been around forums for some time" im guessing you just miss typed the part about being hosted overseas.

This message to typed from an IPhone on a Telstra bigpond connection error and hassle free ;)

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I thought this site was hosted on a private server stateside? Could be wrong.

What type of modem are you using? DSL style modems have a set-up menu. Check the settings, just to be sure. It could be hardware related, as I only get an error (very rarely) when the USB modem I use drops out then locks back in. Hardly happens now thanks to the new tower they put in down the road...