New To Reefing

Bobbo

Oct 17, 2015
Is This A Happy Elegance?
Hello. Quick question just wondering if my elegance is happy? Any tips on improving it if you feel it's not? I've tried google. But it's useless. Lfs is over an hour away.

I've just noticed it's not as green as it once was? nor as "open"
IMG_6269.JPG
IMG_6270.JPG

Bobbo

Oct 17, 2015
I did a water change last night, so its pretty much spot on, Nitrate is up around 5, salt 1.24.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
What type of lighting do you have, and what schedule is it run on?

Also, what are the rest of your water params?

Bobbo

Oct 17, 2015
The light is an AI prime, its currently on 35% at 12k. 4 hour ramp time with peak power (35%) starting at 10AM finishing at 3.50pm. Its only sitting about 2 inches above the water, Hence the low setting.
I'll re test the water now. All the other corals and fish seem to be happy. (hammer and Fluffy)
prime.jpg

Last edited:

Bobbo

Oct 17, 2015
Salt: 1.023
PH:8.4
Nitrate: ~5ppm
Nitrite : 0
Ammonia: 0
Calcium: 450
Alk: 4.
Magnesium: 1350

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
What unit of measurement are you using for your Alk? 4 meq/L is on the high side whereas 4 dKH is on the low side.

What test kits are you using? Phosphate?

In answer to your original question - no, it doesn't look overly happy. Are you feeding it? What is the water flow like?

Bobbo

Oct 17, 2015
What unit of measurement are you using for your Alk? 4 meq/L is on the high side whereas 4 dKH is on the low side.

What test kits are you using? Phosphate?

In answer to your original question - no, it doesn't look overly happy. Are you feeding it? What is the water flow like?
That is meq/L. For PH, Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia I'm using the API Reef kit, For the Calcium, Mag and Alk I'm using the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro kit.

I don't have a test for Phosphate.

I've tried feeding it some Baby Brine shrimp a few days ago, but other than that, No, I have not fed it. There isn't a great deal of flow around it. I will post a video tomorrow.

Last edited:

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
@MajicJ beat me to my next Q (flow). My elegance has quiet a lot of flow in its area and is always a happy little camper. It actually doesnt look like a lot of flow happening in that pic (not being pushed tomeither side by water flow etc).

Could you take a water sample to your lfs for phos until you get a kit? If your phos is high this may be the first coral, to start showing signs of stress..... I know its an hour away, but id do it personally.:)

Bobbo

Oct 17, 2015
Flow, I've got some Phos remvover that came with the tank would it do any harm just chucking some in a Filter sock for a few days?

Heres the flow,

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I extensively tested LED years ago and found elegance coral did not like LED lighting. Some corals like LEDs some don't ....

Second by chasing high ph numbers with buffer product will raise your alk.
Don't chase ph but aim for 2.9 meq kh instead.

Use phosphate removers but make sure you test for phosphate, going suddenly from high phosphate to 0.00 and beyond will cause necrosis especially if your alk is at 4.

The rest of your water test look great.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Like Dave said, Elegance don't like LED for some reason, T5 or metal halide for those guys. They should also be tilted a little to allow them to clean themselves.

Bobbo

Oct 17, 2015
I managed to get a Phosphate test kit (API) in town, My Phosphate is between 0.5-1.0 ppm Mg/l..

Thats great to know about the LED, I pretty much butchered the metal halide in my hood to fit the prime in :/

re the alk that is all the result of the red sea products i've been using i would say. (reef pro salt, Coral foundation ABC+)

I'll give it a bit of a shuffle around after work and see how I go getting the Halide back together.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
My elegance only really took off once I got it off the sand and let it hang out from the rocks, about half way up. It has always been under LEDs and has grown quite large. It also loves a feed - prawn/scallop/mysis mix couple of times a week.
I hope yours picks up for you.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
My elegance only really took off once I got it off the sand and let it hang out from the rocks, about half way up. It has always been under LEDs and has grown quite large. It also loves a feed - prawn/scallop/mysis mix couple of times a week.
I hope yours picks up for you.
You're one of the few mate, I've killed 4 under LEDs. 2 were Indo, 2 were Australian. I tried them higher blue, higher white, changed to a full spectrum fixture, photoperiod, nada. I'm glad you're having good luck with it under LEDs and I want to know long term how it does.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
This particular example is actually doing not too bad, may I suggest backing off the white led and going for more 18 to 20 k . It could take 4 to 6 months to become ledified :)
You have great LEDs btw

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
You're one of the few mate, I've killed 4 under LEDs. 2 were Indo, 2 were Australian. I tried them higher blue, higher white, changed to a full spectrum fixture, photoperiod, nada. I'm glad you're having good luck with it under LEDs and I want to know long term how it does.
It's been under LEDs for over 2 years, in 2 different tanks and different LEDs.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
The elegance looks like it has changed colour and become more brown.

There could be a few reasons for it -
35% seems a bit low to me for the lighting but I know nothing in this area. I would move the Elegance higher up in the tank or increase light intensity.

Flow looks fine.

I'd say your high phosphates are definitely contributing to the brown out. If you get your phosphates down to 0.03 or thereabouts you should see improvement in colour in all of your corals over a few weeks. I use both water changes and Phosphate RX to control phosphates.

Skip to 3 minutes to see the bit about the Phosphate RX. I use it the same way he does and haven't had any problems so far.