Reef Discussion

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Is Super Clean Water Bad For Corals?
Is super clean water bad for corals?

coralmania_1.jpg

Not so long ago, marine aquarists made every attempt to be assured that their water column was "polished." I never fully understood the term, but the premise was that a clean water column was a good water column. Various means were employed to accomplish this, including the use of various power filters, mechanical flosses and screens, sterilizers, ozonizers, canister filters, diatom filters, foam fractionators and many other devices. In this article, I will describe the composition and role of POM, and discuss why such "polished" water might not be in the best interest of reef tanks or corals..........read more

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Is super clean water bad for corals?

Not so long ago, marine aquarists made every attempt to be assured that their water column was "polished." I never fully understood the term, but the premise was that a clean water column was a good water column. Various means were employed to accomplish this, including the use of various power filters, mechanical flosses and screens, sterilizers, ozonizers, canister filters, diatom filters, foam fractionators and many other devices. In this article, I will describe the composition and role of POM, and discuss why such "polished" water might not be in the best interest of reef tanks or corals..........read more
I read this interesting .........I have heaps of tube worms and sponges that just seem to come from no way,is this good?