Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Is my Heliofungia actiniforumis O
Is my Heliofungia OK

Do they normally retract their (not dire of word) "tenticles" after lights out?

If not, what can cause this?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Most corals retract at light out. If it's out during the day and isn't showing any damage I wouldn't be worrying just yet!

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
It actually looked fine through all of that, and the after huge water change looked even better.

This may be a dumb question but lights were on today 7:00 to 7:00...is that too long?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Can you get a photo of the helio - is that a long tentacled plate?

I have my blue LED's come on at 10.00am ramping up over 90 minutes. My whites then come on at 12.00 again ramping up over 90 minutes. The whites are off at 9.00pm ramping down over 30 minutes and the blues are off at 10.00 pm.

So my full lights are only on from 1.30 to 9.00.
There is no correct answer - in the ocean the corals would receive around 12 hours of total sunlight but only 4 hours (my guess but probabley in the ball park :)) of overhead light - the rest of the day the sun would be hitting the water at an angle thus reducing the amount of light penetrating the water. We don't generally have the luxury of moving our lights in an arc, thus all of our lighting hours is directly overhead - but our lights are nowhere as strong as the sun:confused:

You need to experiment a bit - have too short a photo period and your corals will suffer, have too much and your algae will get out of control.

Hope this helps.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I used to get slot of algae growth having a 12 hr photo period. I now run my blues for 12 hrs but my whites for around 7 hrs, reducing the time showed no regressions from the corals. From dropping the time down on the whites I get a lot less algae growth on the glass what is great. I was having to clean my glass everyday now I'm back to once every three days.
Another benefit is the lower power consumtion.

I run my blues mainly for viewing purposes you don't need them on for that long a total photoperid of 6-8 hrs will be sufficient