Reef Discussion

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
Iodine Supplementation
Hi all,
I keep reading that Iodine is a helpful, if not necessary, supplement for zoas. I already dose with Trace (which includes Iodine) and Plus but wonder if I also need to add extra Iodine. If so, can I add Iodine thats used pharmaceutically for humans (I have some in my clinic pharmacy) and if so how much and how often?

Many thanks as always.

Last edited:

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
When you say Iodine used for humans, do you mean similar to Betadine (Povidone-iodine) or similar to Lugol's Solution (Potassium iodide)? If it's the former, no, because of the hydrocarbon complex that the Iodine is bound to, but if it's the latter, it's been used successfully for years in reef tanks, however it has a relatively low bioavilability and you're probably best off doing more regular water changes in lieu.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
be careful dosing Iodine , If you overdose it can become toxic, In saying that I cannot get my levels to .03ppm desired level is .06
P.S make sure you test b4 you dose anything? (stating the obvious)

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
You won't be able to test reliably for Iodine on any test kit due to the way that it exists in our tank water and the different forms that it takes. Unless you're doing HPLC or similar spectroscopic analysis you're pretty much wasting your time.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Definitely be VERY careful with iodine of any sort and marine aquariums. This is on supplement where less is more.

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
I have Iodine for human consumption (I have some hypothalamic patients who I prescribe it for) so would be using that Iodine. But I hear what you are all saying. Perhaps the Iodine in the Trace supplement will be sufficient anyway.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
The trouble is how many different types of Iodine there are for human use. In our bodies they interact very differently to when they're in seawater, as you can imagine the chemical composition profile is massively different between the two. Not to mention for human use the concentrations tend to be much stronger than necessary.

Unless you've got a specific deficiency going on, I'd err on the side of leaving this one by the wayside.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Hi all,
I keep reading that Iodine is a helpful, if not necessary, supplement for zoas. I already dose with Trace (which includes Iodine) and Plus but wonder if I also need to add extra Iodine. If so, can I add Iodine thats used pharmaceutically for humans (I have some in my clinic pharmacy) and if so how much and how often?

Many thanks as always.
I know i found this post a little late[ the story of my life] but i am interested in this 2, I have SEACHEM REEF IODIDE, and salifert test kit but not sure about using it, I use reef plus and reef trace 2 x a week but test shows 0 iodine in my tank, i have clams and have read that they need iodine, should i use this product? how much? don't need to course any more problems in the tank

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I've had the SAME bottle of iodide for 5 years and it's not 1/2 gone yet. LESS is more with iodine supplements. If you're doing a regular water change and adding Trace and PLUS, then don't supplement. About 3 years ago I damn near wiped out my soft coral tank ODing it with iodine.