Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Intro
Hi,
I have had my Purple Tang in Q for 3 weeks now.
Right on cue, he got his first white spot after 4 days. Fought it off, as there was no stress or competition with other fish, and he was being well fed with Brine shrimp, Mysis, pellets all dosed with Anabolics an Garlic extract.
He had a second bought of white spot last week, but mild, and it has all cleared up again. He looks feisty, great body language and color, so I feel confident enough to want to make the move to Introduce him into the DT.
I have a good sized Yellow Tang, who went through this same procedure about 2.5 months ago, and has thrived in the DT, but I just know there is going to be a 'stand-off' between these two.

In the past I tried making this sort of intro late in the evening, other times after a big feed to the DT beforehand.
I was wondering if you have any hints or tricks to help and lessen the impact and stress on both.

Tks
Jac

Attachments

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Good idea - darn it I dropped by the LFS this morning, and should have picked one up... I will keep him a few more day in Q, till I get one.... just not worth the risk to stress him now, and loose him.
What i did get was the Polyp Lab lens and filter for my iPhone, so i may stand a chance to get a few shots now, that will not offend..:-)
Try it this weekend. How would I got about uploading a video ?
Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
OUCH !!
After getting the kids to bed, snuck down at 11:00 pm to finally introduce the Purple Tang to the DT.
After 5 weeks in Q, feeding well and fattened up, thought it was time. Also introduce the pair of Lobarti Fairy Wrasse.
Knew there was going to be a stand off with the Yellow Tang, but was hoping for the best.
At 06:30 this morning, before the lights even came on, the Yellow Tang had seen him, and it started !
He has hounded him all day long. I stood there for an hour and a half trying to shoo him away every time he came to the Bommey where the Purple was hiding, but he just would not stop.
I added a mirror, which the Yellow stayed away from for a while, then bought a second one for the other side... seemed to work for a while, but he is hell bent on attacking the Purple.
The images show how primed up the Purple Was, and what he ow looks like... finds cut up, 2 wounds on his side.
Breaks my heart to watch and feel so helpless, but having said that, it is remarkable to note how the Purple still has the spirit to keep coming out and facing the Yellow... he is trying so hard to stand his ground, and establish his presence. I have fed them repeatedly all day to molify them, but it does not seem to distract the Yellow from his mission.... all I can now do is try to distract him when I am around, but then I suppose I have to let it go its course... like watching kids grow up. !!
Jac

Attachments

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Sam,
there is room a plenty, but the Yellow seems obsessed with the Purple.
It is heartening to see how the Purple still finds the guts to keep coming out and even swimming ( albeit fast) past the Yellow, as if to say "I Know you are beating me up real good,but I am still around "
I will keep watching today, and if gts too bad, I may just buckle and try to catch either of them, for a period of rest and no stress.
Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi All,
for the first 72 hours, I really did not expect the Purple to make it. He was being hounded relentlessly, but to his credit, he had the guts to keep popping back out, to show he is still there, and intends to stay.
It has been 9 days now, and he is out and very much a part of the community . The Yellow still chases him down, but he does not stay in his cave hiding for more than 3 seconds.
His fins had been badly tattered, but that has healed so fast.
I think I can say he has made it !!!
Jac