Reef Discussion

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Interesting New Fish Food
So with my usual read and catch up of the hobby with my morning coffee I came across this article on ReefBuilders:
https://reefbuilders.com/2016/05/02/panta-nouri-sponge-nouri-polyp/

Now I reckon that sounds like a fascinating idea to have as a food, especially given how much love dwarf angels, large angels and of course butterflies receive! I would love to try some out, not that I really have any fish dependent upon this food but if the uptake of it was good, it would certainly pave the way to keeping some of the more not-so-reef-safe fish I've always wanted lol. The biggest pain is that while a decent sized tub is less than $10AUD the shipping is flat rate at $70AUD up to 5kg :( lol so it's definitely not happening, maybe when I'm rich or if a few people wanted to try. Maybe I'll send them an email for better shipping lol

Website is completely in German though lol
http://shop.panta-rhei-aquatics.com/Panta-Rhei-Produkte/Fischfutter:::205_207:3.html

areefbuilders.com_files_2016_05_panta_nouri_sponge_polyp.jpg

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Do you think there would be a customs issue bringing it in either by person or courier?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Do you think there would be a customs issue bringing it in either by person or courier?
There are restrictions on it and forms but I know of several times it's happened without incident. I've also imported zeovit bacteria a couple of times with no issues. By person I would imagine there'd be issues but I think courier would be fine, that being said I'd check to be on the safe side!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Although most of those restrictions apply to commercial entities and there really isn't any sections on personal or individual use. It would seem to be alright I would imagine

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Arh - all good. I have someone that travels to Germany semi frequently and receives weekly "mailbags" - not sure I'll put the onus on them for this though. Would feel very guilty if there was an issue.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Arh - all good. I have someone that travels to Germany semi frequently and receives weekly "mailbags" - not sure I'll put the onus on them for this though. Would feel very guilty if there was an issue.
Yeah, I can just imagine the look on his face being pulled aside by customs after coming through with a bag of fish food hahaha not what you want to do to someone :) lol If people wanted to try I'd happily take onus though but it would be good if it were 5-10 people as that would make shipping $7-14 a pop regardless of amount people ordered. I know I'd probably buy about 4 different tubs :)

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I'd put in for a couple tubs!
Wonder what the shelf life would be, don't have need of it but at some point I would. Always keen to offer my fish something new.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I'd be in for a tub for a try.

I feel a group buy coming on....
If we get the offers I can start organising :) lol

I'd put in for a couple tubs!
Wonder what the shelf life would be, don't have need of it but at some point I would. Always keen to offer my fish something new.
I would imagine similar to normal pellet food but I can ask that when I send them an email :)
I'd look at getting polyp, plankton and omnivorous as they would fit with the fish I currently have but I'd also get a tub of sponge because why not :) lol it might change on shelf life but the amount won't matter as they're 50-100gm tubs so we need to order at least 100-50 tubs before we look at the next shipping bracket haha

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I'm going to stick my goose neck out again and say to keep things minimalist for my future endeavours I'll be sticking to what has worked for me in the last decade.... New life spectrum. And for back up I'll use Reef roids for the corals.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I'm going to stick my goose neck out again and say to keep things minimalist for my future endeavours I'll be sticking to what has worked for me in the last decade.... New life spectrum. And for back up I'll use Reef roids for the corals.
haha stick with what works is an excellent moto :) That and NLS is just an amazing food lol I know it's nearly everything I feed :) Testing an interesting product always gets me though lol I want to try everything I can!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I suspect that there would be a distinct possibility that this would be destroyed by customs upon entry.

Some things do get through, but that is only because customs are not able to look at every package that arrives on our shores.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I suspect that there would be a distinct possibility that this would be destroyed by customs upon entry.

Some things do get through, but that is only because customs are not able to look at every package that arrives on our shores.
That's a pity, I was aware of the risks and known that I've been lucky a couple of times lol it might be worth asking about it then

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's probably worth checking with one of the importers - I remember reading that it can take months/years to get approval to import some food items, especially when they contain natural ingredients.

@Aquadepot ??

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
It's probably worth checking with one of the importers - I remember reading that it can take months/years to get approval to import some food items, especially when they contain natural ingredients.

@Aquadepot ??
Yep, it's not exactly the fastest moving government department haha for a good reason though :) I'm 100% for our bio-security :)

I don't think any of the importers will pick it up though, it would be awesome but probably not well enough known and too specific. Would be fantastic though :)