Off-Topic

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Indiegogo Campaign - World's First Artificial Gills Re-breather
Does this look too good to be true ?

It's limited to a depth of 15' but can something be engineered to actually extract oxygen from water?

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
They were after $50k and are currently sitting at $878k having sold almost 2,000 units so there are a few people willing to hand over their money!!

But, all may not be as it seems ...

https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-triton-artificial-gills.t7417/ - claim that this is a fraud and have been seeking to have the indiegogo campaign removed.
Watching the video I had a weird feeling it was fake!
Something about the terrible English and bad footage of the guy swimming.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
There has been a development.

The original campaign has been withdrawn and all monies have been refunded.

But, they have started a new campaign - this time they are stating that the product works by utilising a single use 'liquid oxygen' tank. They haven't provided a price for the replacement tanks??

Many people think that this is still a fraud - apparently liquid oxygen only stays in the liquid form at -119°C .

I'm sure there will be more developments, but 358 people have thrown $144k at the new campaign :eek

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
There has been a development.

The original campaign has been withdrawn and all monies have been refunded.

But, they have started a new campaign - this time they are stating that the product works by utilising a single use 'liquid oxygen' tank. They haven't provided a price for the replacement tanks??

Many people think that this is still a fraud - apparently liquid oxygen only stays in the liquid form at -119°C .

I'm sure there will be more developments, but 358 people have thrown $144k at the new campaign :eek
If having to withdraw and pay back almost a million dollars isn't a black flag to people I don't know what is.

I guess people love to believe!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Just to finish this thread off ....

In the second campaign the total got to around $450k - so there were still lots of people willing to throw their money at a dream.

The guys on metabunk continued to ridicule the idea and were sending lots of requests to Indiegogo to close down the campaign - there were also some lawyers circling if the money was actually paid to the founders.

It would appear that, eventually, sanity prevailed and the campaign was closed down, with all of the backers being repaid their money.

So, my very first comment in this thread was fairly accurate

Does this look too good to be true ?