Reef Discussion

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Imperial to Metric Plumbing Conversion
Hi guys,
I'm going to be purchasing an internal overflow box kit from Glass-Holes, as well as a 1/2'' or 3/4'' Loc-Line return kit. What I'm wondering is if it's possible source 1'', 1/2'' or 3/4'' PVC pipe to suit the bulkheads. I'm pretty sure that the PVC pipe we use in Aus is metric dimensions, so I'm unsure whether it's going to be suitable.

Is the metric PVC pipe equivalent to the imperial dimensions?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
its all imperial here! It is just called by the nearest metric size... 15mm - 1/2inch, 20mm - 3/4 inch, 25mm - 1 inch.....

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Just make sure it's not schedule 40 or schedule 80 stuff - thats different again.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Both the bulkheads on the overflow and return are schedule 40, what does schedule refer to? Does it refer to the thickness of the pipe wall?

If so, wouldn't that mean that as like and the interior dimension is correct (eg. 1/2'', 3/4'' or 1'') then there shouldn't be an issue fitting it onto the corresponding PVC pipe?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
its all imperial here! It is just called by the nearest metric size... 15mm - 1/2inch, 20mm - 3/4 inch, 25mm - 1 inch.....
Didn't I find that out the hard way! :(

Just make sure it's not schedule 40 or schedule 80 stuff - that's different again.
There are some places that list Sch40 & Sch80 in price lists, but I don't what the story is but, this stuff WONT fit with the Sch80 that comes from the states I:E- Octopus skimmers. It took me weeks to find someone who can supply the same size fittings & pipe in Melbourne.

Both the bulkheads on the overflow and return are schedule 40, what does schedule refer to? Does it refer to the thickness of the pipe wall?
Sch80 & 40 refers to a standard I believe. Not just the wall thickness.
If so, wouldn't that mean that as like and the interior dimension is correct (eg. 1/2'', 3/4'' or 1'') then there shouldn't be an issue fitting it onto the corresponding PVC pipe?
Def not, places like the reef shop & guppy's have the right size stuff if you cant find it anywhere else. Just check out their plumbing sections. :)

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
I just did a quick Google for the difference between Sch40 and Sch80. I can't post links as yet but from what I'm seeing the only thing that varies is the thickness of the pipe wall and therefore the interior diameter of the pipe as well. The higher standard (80 in this case) the higher the pressure the pipe can withstand. They are also interchangeable due to the exterior diameter being identical, and can be used with any schedule of elbow or tee as the fittings are made relative to their interior diameter.

Does that make sense or am I off the right track?

Your on the right track mate. It's just that Sch80 is not sold over the counter in Australia. I carried around a piece of Sch80 that would fit an Octopus skimmer to plumbing stores, Bunnings, pool shops & everyone just shook their heads at me & shrugged. I still have the off cuts in the ute in case I get lucky lol. :)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
As far as I know you'll need to either

1) buy you plumbing from guppies, OS or alike. You won't get it over the counter here
2) use a rubber sleeve or something to convert from 1 to the other. They are close in that a rubber hose or sleeve will work, but it's not the neatest solution. What not start again, use different bulkheads and stick to AU plumbing standards. May be cheaper and better in the long run to cut your losses and start again.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Cheers macca_75, I understand where you're coming from. I'll be getting that overflow box kit and the return loc-line kit from Glass-Holes, which should be fine given that the standard Aussie PVC will suit the fittings because the interior bulkhead diameter will match the Aussie exterior PVC diameter.

I'll be able to avoid the Octopus Skimmer issue as I'll be using a Tunze Nano DOC Skimmer 9002 which isn't plumbed in, and probably a Tunze return pump which has a 3/4'' return diameter. Easiest fix to sort all issues with the return pump would be to use a 3/4'' PVC joiner to connect it to the return pipe I reckon.

Thanks heaps for your help guys, really informative stuff.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Glad someone else had issues with finding plumbing to fit overseas equipment! Hope you find a solution too ...