Tank Journal Archive

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
Ifyalucky Budget Build - 4x2x1.5
Hi everyone this is my first marine tank i have not had a tank sense i was a child and that was a fresh water one. being my first tank and and having a house to pay for it has been a budget build as you will see hope you all enjoy and leave me feed back as i m only learning still. I have done a DIY led build for the tank plumbed it all my self a test run with fresh water to make sure no flooding lol. As i m a cabinet maker by trade (no longer work in the trade) i cladded my steel frame stand with solid jarrah. Well cheers for looking hope you all enjoy and leave some feed back:)Cheers Shaun
037.JPG

Reefing Since:new to it all just starting out

System Objectives:

Type of reef: Mixed and easy care as this is my first

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 12/08/11 if all goes to plan

Display Tank Dimensions: 4"longx2"heighx1.5"wide

Display Lighting: DIY led from aquastyleonline.com home made heat sink from scrap metal yard.

Stand:Steel frame with jarrah cladding and doors

Hood or Rimless: Custon jarrah to suit led and tank

Sump Design:2 pass air bubble trap with a bucket of live sand

Filtration:Live sand filter sock

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW

Display Water circulation: JVP Ebay special meant to turn over 12000lph but i work on half that so will run 3 of them lol.

Return Pump:3600 lph aquagarden (barracuda) returning 900lph to tank

Skimmer:Reef octopus 3000 3x Secondhand not even a year old when getting it bit of a over kill but at the right price

Evaporation Top Up:Non

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: Non

Alkilinity Addition: Non

Magnesium Addition:Non

Prodibiotics Addition:Non

Coral Food Addition:Yet to decide

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
Ok i have heaps of photos i have taken as putting it all together will post this weekend once i get some time i will be doing a few more things to it like start making the hood. And i have water in it now just need to sort out Skimmer water level and few bits

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Those lights look pretty good - How many LEDs are there? and what colour combiniation?

This is a similar size to what i am running so very keen to see where you go. Are you thinking of putting a background on?

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
I have put a back ground on it looks great now got a couple of bits of rock yesterday and scored a couple of anemones looked very sad but look heaps better under some light and good water flow i have some more photo ill post soon i would have to check ratio i did but it is on my post in diy. My led build thanks for looking

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
brown alge is in my tank what is it from doesnt look like it should be there i dont have any test kit atm been getting the guy at the shop to test before i put any thing in what is your thoughts guy how to get rid of it

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
A bit late sorry ifyalucky, didn't realise you had started a TJ. Your setup looks good - the brown diatoms are just part of the cycle and will disappear as the nutrients in the water are used up and the water begins to stabilise. You really should get some test kits so you know where the cycle is at - you will get ammonia, then nitrites, then nitrates .... then it is time to start stocking, but slowly.