Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Idea for nano
It may seem a bit much, but I have had an idea to make the nano less work. Currently, each day I take a cup of water out (about 750ml) and add one in. My idea is to have one pump taking water out of the tank (1l per 24 hours) and another adding water into the tank at the same rate. This should take away the need for water changes. Has anyone tried this and if so, how has it worked out?
water.png

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Do you like wet floors or empty tanks?

I have seen suggestions like this before - the biggest problem you would have is getting the two pumps to pump at exactly the same rate. Given the small volumes involved it is perhaps not an issue over a short term but I wouldn't like to leave it unattended for a week. What would happen if the pump taking out the old water failed?

You get the idea.

Rather than change 750ml a day, why don't you just change 5l per week and reduce your daily workload?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
it can be done properly but you will need multiple float switches etc etc. or another option is running a dosing pump to do the water changes. this can ensure acurate readings. if you are anal about it failing chuck a float switch on the pumps so if it drains to much or adds to much it turns off :)

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
are you running a sump?

if you plan on doing something this extravagant if you run a sump it will increase water quantity and then you wouldnt need to do a cup a day and a weekly change would be fine and you could increase the change litreage to a bit more. 5l a week in a small tank would be fine. I do understand why you are doing what you are but I am wondering if this is really all that beneficial? I guess one cup a day (750ml you said works out to a bit of 5l a week anyways). so i would really just go at 5-10l a week :D

i had a similar idea but instead of using 2 pumps was thinking of using one pump to put water in and an overflow to take it out, that way it wont flood but then you have salinity issues as you never see how much evap has happened

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
it can be done properly but you will need multiple float switches etc etc. or another option is running a dosing pump to do the water changes. this can ensure acurate readings. if you are anal about it failing chuck a float switch on the pumps so if it drains to much or adds to much it turns off :)
Now you are starting to complicate things ;) Controlling 240v equipment with float switches requires the use of relays etc which is outside the experience level of most people - and it needs to be done by a qualified electrician.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
Ive found with an intergrated hooded tank that evaporation isnt a great issue, so a hood or glass top will help there, in saying that the only time you will really get salinity issues with evaporation is if you let it evaporate heaps. I found in an approx 200l tank that half inch to an inch of evaporation barely changed salinity levels, maybe .1 - .2 change.

over flows are good.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i had a similar idea but instead of using 2 pumps was thinking of using one pump to put water in and an overflow to take it out, that way it wont flood but then you have salinity issues as you never see how much evap has happened
this would definitely work!!

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
There is no need for sensors or switches or anything so complicated. All you need is some plastic tube, a bottle for each type of water, a small cut-off float, and two dosing pumps.

aquamedic_dosing_pump_SP_3000.jpg

Then, you simply put the end of each hose roughly 1/2 way down your tank from the top. That way if the inlet fails, you will only lose half your tanks water and not kill everything. If your outlet fails you can just have a small cut-off float on your inlet, so that if the water goes above a certain point, it stops dosing.

Of course, we can get fancy and use ultrasonic sensors with a plc, but that would just be silly :P