Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
ID this please
Hi again. Can someone please ID this thing for me. Sorry about the image quality, it is pretty bad but this is the only camera I have.

It looks like a caterpillar with leafs on top of its head. Is it a friend or not?

Thanks again :)

slug.jpg
slug2.jpg

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Although it looks very much like one, this is not a nudibranch. It is actually a juvenile sea-cucumber. The feeding tenticles are the hairy things that are arranged in a ring round the mouth of the animal. Below is video I found on the net of an animal with a similar body plan feeding (is definately the same species though)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Seacucumber are one of those funny animals to keep. Some species have the potential of wipe out your entire tank is they enviserate (release their insides which are toxic to defend themselves). I have several small seacucumber in my tank which came in on the live rock. Never had an issue with them and the tank inhabitants leave them well enough alone. These animals are filter feeders (use their sticky tenticles to trap particles out of the water).

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the arrangement and configuration of each tenticle. Also, it it was a nudibranch, the gills would point perpendicular to the body (ie toward the water surface). As the tenticles point towards the fron of the body, more likely to be the cucumber. I have kept these critters in the aquarium before so I am familiar with them. More common that you would think. Some are stunning (ie sea apples - see below)

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Doc!

You are right, it looks exactly like that. So now the question is, should I keep it in the tank, or move it? It looks nice, but I don't want to risk the health of the tank. What do you suggest?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
should be fine in your tank as long as you are not constantly handling it or dropping stuff onto it. Will feed on detritus and will seek out an area of high flow. If you like it, keep it but do some research on it so you know what to expect.