Reef Discussion

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
ID this coral???
Can anyone ID this coral - i have never seen anything like it. It came on a piece of rock that i collected a few weeks back.

ai1094.photobucket.com_albums_i441_marineclass_0851b055.jpg

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
looks like one of the Palythoa species as it seems that the coenenchyme (the matting at the base of the polyp) is fused to adjacent individuals. If this is the case, please use caution when handling this coral as palythoa produce a virulent neurotoxin (i.e. palytoxin) in their mucus and reproductive organs.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Oh really! wow...see ther eis so much abut this hobby to learn! will it harm my fish /other inhabitants if i leave it in? Maybe it will be back to the ocean for this guy

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Thought i would also upload another image of it when it is closed.

Odd looking thing but it is starting to get a little bit of colour inside it so i hope it isnt dangerous
ai1094.photobucket.com_albums_i441_marineclass_13a9fcda.jpg

Attachments

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Your fish and other thank inhabitants should be fine. Just ensure that it is not too close to your other corals. If you use a skimmer or activated carbon, this will remove any toxins that are released. Some marine species have seveloped the ability to consume organisms such as this (some wrasses and nudibranchs).