Reef Discussion

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Id Please
Just bought a coral and i was told the name was a palm coral and its easy to card for. It was cheaper asp enough so i got it but cant find any info. Im guessing its not easy.

If you cant see its red. Has white feathers when extended

Attachments

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Sorry to say, but it's a coral for advanced aquarists. It's a Gorgonian and it requires feeding.

IIt has a poor survival rate in captivity.

Don't know how much experience you have, but if it was in my hands I'd be taking it back.

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Sorry to say, but it's a coral for advanced aquarists. It's a Gorgonian and it requires feeding.

IIt has a poor survival rate in captivity.

Don't know how much experience you have, but if it was in my hands I'd be taking it back.
I thought so should of listened to myself lol. I normally recognise all the easy to card for coral

Cost more in petrol than i bought it for so will give it a try at caring for it.

Thanks

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Heaps of info on the web about them. I think if you have the right food and place it in a shady spot it may be OK. Guess it's a matter of how much time you want to commit to it's feeding.

I gave up on keeping sun corals - probably the easiest (and very pretty) of them all...

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
It's a tricky balancing act with these. Flow and light have to be in perfect balance. If they get algae growth on them, they'll die.

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Just bought a coral and i was told the name was a palm coral and its easy to card for. It was cheaper asp enough so i got it but cant find any info. Im guessing its not easy.

If you cant see its red. Has white feathers when extended
I've seen a few of these doing the rounds in Sydney (and probably elsewhere).
Pretty sure this is an ornamental non photosynthetic sponge. Will probably last a while but most likely will eventually die off without plenty of food of the right type. My guess is that would be phyto and/ or bacterioplankton.

HTH
Angie