Reef Discussion

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
I think I have a Xanthid crab in my tank..
I saw something funny in my tank, so i had a bit of a prod around..
I saw it was a crab but it was to quick to catch.. I did get a pick.. I wasn't expecting it to run so fast, lol..
Going by pics it sort of looks like a Xanthid crab..
ai1100.photobucket.com_albums_g405_Axe_s_IMG_0725.jpg

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
Cheers.. can atleast see the out line now.. Had a black tip on it's pincer.. but couldn't see if it was a spoon shape or not.. big pincers for it's body Looked Red and white to me, speckled body striped legs..

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
Just keep a close eye on it, like I do with my lot...watch reactions with other tankmates. The ones I have in my tank just seem to tidy up around the place. I only get rid of the grey hitchhikers if they fall out of a rock or something. I think the main thing with my red and white crab is...I like watching him and his antics, He doesn't bother my fish or shrimp, he doesn't eat my corals...but I know where he is if need be.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
it appear that you do. These reef crabs geenrally scrap alage from rocks, however they do grow large enough to start moving about your rock-work if it is not secures. These reef crabs have extremly TOXIC flesh, so yout fish will generally leave them alone. As a point of interest, any reef crab that has black tips to the claws is generally toxic.

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
The rock he was in used to be close to my zoo's and they all died off, so i fraged a couple and put them in a darker place in the tank and seemed to be doing alright.. now i am starting to think it was this crab..
Thanks for the info Dr_Schell very informative.. :)

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
I'd get him out then.

Chris,
Don't I know about moving things..I can't put any frag sized rocks in front of the red and white's "space" or he will push them away the clear the entrance, which is on the floor of the tank.