Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
I Need To Be Calmed Down.
Sooooo, I imagine some of you are familiar with my mantis shrimp(s).

For those who aren't:
I found one. Removed it. Ticking resumed (ticks appearing three in a row), discarded some rock that potentially house the shrimp. Ticking stopped for about 4 weeks. The past few days I've been hearing 1 tick. Just 1, which seems uncharacteristic of a mantis and potentially pistol!

BUT.

So on Monday morning. Before I went to work I turned the light on just to check everyone. And the hermit crab. Which is normally on its favourite rock was on sand... Scavaging. (I'd imagine)

And my partner said he saw it go behind the rock on Monday, (BEHIND THE ROCK IS OUT OF BOUNDS, LOL) anyway. I haven't seen it since.

So I am boarder line scared I now HAVE ANOTHER MANTIS SHRIMP. But also, I'm also only hearing 1 tick, rather than the usual 3-4 in a row. So hmmm.

And then this morning. There were ridges, very neat ridges leading into behind the rocks. Like, almost as if there had been tiny waves forming these neat ridges...

Anyway. I think I am being crazy. But just my first mantis shrimp experience has scarred me.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
If it's a mantis and making such a small sound, it won't be big enough to tackle a hermit crab. Yet.
Please don't kill it, if it's a mantis - they're awesome pets. :)

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
My Pistol shrimp does lots of ticking, sometimes one or two, other times 5 or 6.

Wish he would eat bristleworms instead of my Stomatella's though :(

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
more likely a pistol shrimp than a mantis (especially if there are multiple clicks). I wouldn't worry about pistol shrimps, they are cool :)

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
The pistol shrimp that I have in my tank are only about 2cm long, not going to kill too much being that small. I have found 2 so far when pulling out pieces of rock. I just let the go back in the tank.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Get a shrimp goby so they have something to do. The only ones that are problematic are the giant pistol shrimps from the Caribbean.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
So the thing is, im only hearing one click.

But update - the hermit crab has been found alive and well.

But also, I have noticed and increased amount of debris on the bottom of the tank... perhaps another pointer...

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
All of this worry is completely unnecessary, chill out and just enjoy the amazing diversity of life that you are able to discover in your tank. I get the impression you didn't know what you were in for when you chose to use live rock and I understand that not all of us appreciate creepy crawlies. If you are not enjoying discovering all of these new creatures, perhaps go with other filtration options instead to create a more sanitised environment where only what you add will be living in there. Replace the live rock with base rock of your choosing. Focus on chemical and mechanical filtration methods, with the biological component being made up of man-made options such as Marine Pure and nitrifying bacteria in a bottle (I use Dr Tim's One and Only).

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
1 click or 50 doesn't really matter, if you're seeing dead hermits, fish or other life then worry. Our pistol shrimps usually only click once, but sometimes 4-5 times so clicking really isn't a determining factor as to what is in your tank.

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
All of this worry is completely unnecessary, chill out and just enjoy the amazing diversity of life that you are able to discover in your tank. I get the impression you didn't know what you were in for when you chose to use live rock and I understand that not all of us appreciate creepy crawlies. If you are not enjoying discovering all of these new creatures, perhaps go with other filtration options instead to create a more sanitised environment where only what you add will be living in there. Replace the live rock with base rock of your choosing. Focus on chemical and mechanical filtration methods, with the biological component being made up of man-made options such as Marine Pure and nitrifying bacteria in a bottle (I use Dr Tim's One and Only).

You use Dr Tims? Where would you purchase this from in Aussie? I have looked asked the LFS for it etc to no avail!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
You use Dr Tims? Where would you purchase this from in Aussie? I have looked asked the LFS for it etc to no avail!
I get it sent from the US, orders over $25AUD attract free postage, pretty sweet deal: http://www.vitamingrocer.com.au/

I was told by an LFS that you can't use a live bacteria product that has been imported because it has been irradiated and the bacteria will have died - however I haven't had a problem buying it this way. I also know Fantastic Fins in Lilydale has been looking at stocking the Dr Tim's range - haven't checked in with them lately to see where they are at with it, but it will be handy for me if they do.

The other thing that has impressed me about Vitamin Grocer is that the Dr Tim's has a shelf life of one year, and every bottle I have bought so far has had the majority of that shelf life remaining.