Reef Discussion

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
I Have Two Shrimps!
Just kidding, I only have one. It is a Venus Anemone Shrimp (Ancylomenes venustus). Only got it last Tuesday, and by today (Sunday), it had molted. I am unsure when it happened, but it has been hiding since about two or so days ago.

Out of curiosity, when do they usually come out again? I don't really mind, it's currently hiding within the macroalgae that I have in there, but yeah, just curious really.

Also, is there anything I should be thinking of in terms of supplements?

It's by itself in a bonsai aquarium, so no worries about predators.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Generally I would think it would come out again once its exoskeleton has hardened up - they are vulnerable after a shed.

As for any special needs it might have - if it will accept meaty foods or pellets then feed it regularly as well as having stable salinity.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Low nitrates and stable water parameters - maintain calcium and magnesium, and maybe an iodine supplement to promote moulting.

Do you have any corals in the tank?

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Generally I would think it would come out again once its exoskeleton has hardened up - they are vulnerable after a shed.
+1

I have a coral banded shrimp who moults about once every 2 months. He used to hide for a day or so after he shed, but after a couple of moults no longer bothered hiding. Don't have any aggressive or predatory fish in my tank at the moment, so maybe that's why.

Actually got to see see him shedding his skin last night with my daughter. Initially thought there was something wrong with him, but them quickly realised what was happening. Funny how he she'd the bulk of his skin quickly, then spent quite a lot of time pulling his "feelers" out gently. :)

Second time he moulted his skin floated around the tank and landed on my cushion coral, which proceeded to digest the skin before I had a chance to pull it out!

So many cool and amazing things we get to witness in our little slices of reef.