Reef Discussion

shane_h

Feb 3, 2012
I.D Please?
What is this black "thing" lol sorry.
I've been trying to figure this one out for weeks with no luck on my own searches.
It throws out a long thing feeding hair? almost everyday. It seems to have a tube like a bivalve at times light white/transparent fringe around the tube and looks to be breathing or reeling in the feeder not sure. Then it also has 2 smaller "feelers" Its stationary, looks to inhabit a hole in the rock but never really fully withdraws so not sure. It's about the size of a pea. I was thinking maybe a feather duster that had shed it's feathers as there is one close and also on another piece of rock. Sorry for the crappy pics through the $30 Aldi kids plastic tank. But its just seeding some sand for when I get the 4 footer in place and setup.
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, But I really have no idea what this is.

Attachments

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Hey no worries. Thanks for trying :)
I thought it was a mantis shrimp from the pics but hey...what do you expect from a mantis maniac like me :D

Then (like a normal person viewing pics first! MMMmmm pics :p) I read your description and realized...nope impossible.

shane_h

Feb 3, 2012
lol I have heard some clicks. And never just one, always two. Kind of hopeing it is a mantis, but not really prepared for it if it is though :(
Not feeding anything except marine snow every other day for the dusters.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
lol I have heard some clicks. And never just one, always two. Kind of hopeing it is a mantis, but not really prepared for it if it is though :(
Not feeding anything except marine snow every other day for the dusters.
Hmm..clicking can only be a few things and a mantis shrimps is a likely cause too! I hope its a mantis shrimp and if it is fear not about feeding it directly, it will find something to eat and it can go a while without food either, it's obviously a small one if it is one since if the clicking were load enough you would know for certain (I hear mine from other rooms) and since it's small (again if there is one) then it will easily live off the micro life small critters that appear LOL.

I hope its one :D

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
this is a mollusc contained within the family Vermetidae. I suspect that it may be a species of Serpulorbis, but cannot be sure.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
what fish do you have, some species such as clownfish will communicate by clicking their jaws. When my Melanopus clowns are having a conversation, I can hear them clicking from across the room!

shane_h

Feb 3, 2012
Wow thats it thanks Doc :)
I have no fish . This is a $30 plastic Aldi kids tank thats going to be a fuge.
It has $10 of live rock fist sized and smaller chunks. Very Getto atm, till I clear a space and install the 4 footer.
I'm goin for patience and hopeing this setup in this order will be teaming with food for a mandarin.
The inch or so of sand in it will go in the 4 footer once the rock in that cycles and then this will get a DSB.
Hopeing to T off some return water to the fuge and let that trickle into the main taking food with it.
Thanks Heaps for the I.D... also... now I HAVE to have some of those Clowns lol. (Would have had at least one anyway but if they have convo's... well. :)