Reef Discussion

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
I.D please
Hi guys, just wondering what this nudi is. Should I take him out. As for a size referance that is a monti polyp top right, and a tiny sponge to the left of him. I estimate him to be about 8mm long.. Any ideas?
IMG_0303edit.jpg

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Yes, yes I know:rolleyes , but I was thinking if maybe someone has had one like this they could shed a little light on it.. I know there are some that are not good in a reef tank, but so far (knock on wood) this one hasn't seemed to have caused any problems. And he is quite a good looking thing if I do say so :D

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
My best guess would be Hypselodoris obscura (Obscure Nudibranch). THis species feeds on sponges and retains toxins within their tissue as a defense (thus their colouration).

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
from what I've heard elsewhere its quite hard to get any of them in aus, you should feel lucky lol, it would be cool to see how this guy goes :cool:

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Nudies are notoriously difficult to keep alive for any length of time in Aquariums. Up here (QLD) they are very common on mud-flats and on rocky shores. At certian times of year (during the mating period), they are one of the most obvious and abundant invertebrates.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
I'm guessing he's probably come in on some macro I've collected locally. My tank has been running for 9 months and I didn't see/notice him before I added the macro. I've seen a few nudi's that go to lfs' when I was working for CM, the most common being the fluro or toxic yellow ones (Notodorris gardineri), but nothing of this colour :) I'm hoping he does well!

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
We get nudi explosions here as well, usually washed up on the beaches after any swell. The ones I've found are a very steely blue above and white below with large "wings" (I'm assuming they might be pelagic, or at that stage in their life cycle?)